Fenix LD20 bicyclelight

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
So, as I have been using my Fenix LD20 as bicycle light, I've began worrying about blinding fellow cyclists and other traffic. If I'm going to use this light on high or turbo mode, it clearly needed some modifications. This is what I came up with, made from film canister and clear plastic food package lids. It cuts the beam so it looks more like car low-beam, so it shouldn't blind oncoming traffic. Some kind of very light diffuser would be nice to make the spot a bit wider. (And yes, I should get dedicated bicycle light but hey, if it works then it works!)

Edit: In progress of making custom bike mount from wood, if it works then it's time to go plastic. Only problem is that I don't have a 24mm drill to make a hole, but we'll find a way around that. Attaching works by velcro straps and additional grip from bicycle inner tube. Today I may post outdoors test for the beam shape.
Edit 2: More pics!

fillarimodi_2.jpg

fillarimodi_1.jpg

fillarimodi_valokeila.jpg

beamshape.jpg

beamshape_low.jpg

Without glare protection

glare-2.jpg

With glare protection

glare.jpg

Overall beam pattern in use

beamshape_3.jpg

Please, don't laugh at my test vehicle :sick2:

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, as a bicyclist, I've gotta ask. If you have to put a 'blinder' on your light for oncoming traffic, are you using too much light? I have a 250 lumen light on my road bike, and I almost always run it on low. That said, I'm in Phoenix so the vast majority of the time I'm sharing roads with others. Even out in the desert my light seems to do what I need.

20141102_091201.jpg

I can appreciate overkill, but when it comes at the expense of getting others upset at you, I'm not sure it's worth it.
~D

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
Okay, as a bicyclist, I've gotta ask. If you have to put a 'blinder' on your light for oncoming traffic, are you using too much light? I have a 250 lumen light on my road bike, and I almost always run it on low. That said, I'm in Phoenix so the vast majority of the time I'm sharing roads with others. Even out in the desert my light seems to do what I need.

I can appreciate overkill, but when it comes at the expense of getting others upset at you, I'm not sure it's worth it.
~D

Well, on high this lights put out about ~100 lumens and in total darkness it is pretty blinding to others. I live in finland so often the bicycle paths and car roads are unlit, and it is pretty dangerous to drive at night without proper lights (driving in a pothole, nothing out of ordinary here). And at winter it is getting progressively worse as at 16:00 clock it's almost pitch dark + raining makes the ground absorb 80% of the light. It is just easier to cycle faster when you see where you are going.

Also, finished the stand for it. Coated with nitrocellulose fishing lure clearcoat so it should last quite a bit even submerged.

teline.jpg

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your flashlight had a body diameter of 1" / 25.4mm, you can get a simple handlebar mount from dx.com. of course, it looks like you are already done with your version.
I've bicycled in Helsinki, so i know a weather-resistant system is important.
So with this light, you are going more for runtime rather than sheer power?
Now all you need is a camera mount, and you'd have a mobile beamshot platform!

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
If your flashlight had a body diameter of 1" / 25.4mm, you can get a simple handlebar mount from dx.com. of course, it looks like you are already done with your version.
I've bicycled in Helsinki, so i know a weather-resistant system is important.
So with this light, you are going more for runtime rather than sheer power?
Now all you need is a camera mount, and you'd have a mobile beamshot platform!

I'm mostly going for runtime, and flick it on high when going on a bad road surface. When snow fells, even low-mid will be enough light.

Nice idea about that mobile beamshot platform, could compare different lights while bicycling by recording video with manual settings! Has anyone done this? Too bad I have only this light, Thrunite Ti and Roar of the pelican :( I think people would be infuriated if I went and drove with that ROP high version.

Altogether, I may build complete purpose built bicycle light at spring when school resumes.

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
Slight upgrade to version 2, which is 3d printed. Now the design is hinged so the stand can be deattached from bike without tools and it is fastened with wing nut and this kind of knot bolt. The strap that holds the light is still velcro, because it was working so well. Also the glareshield is also 3d printed. Bike got upgraded too to Radon MTB :cool:

Pics!

bikestand2_1.jpg

bikestand2_2.jpg

bikestand2_3.jpg

Beam

bikestand2_glare.jpg

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of manipulating your own lights abilities to your desired usage.
I missed this thread until today and share a need to use and not scorch others or disturb, but in my case, looking for escaped cats at night. They go every where, under parked cars, between houses, under hedges etc. So I went for spill reduction in this thread of you want to read my craziness.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/4707524

At this point, I drop one off these in my jacket pocket with a silicone sleeve and slip on where needed.
Not trying to hijack, so if this bothers you guys, let me know I'll remove it pronto.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did read your thread with interest WR, an interesting solution. As a hobby photographer, I had once considered building some type of adjustable iris device, which would definitely a solution for a problem almost nobody has. Apparently technology has improved since I had that thought, you can now buy an adjustable iris that has an OD of 1.44".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Iris-Ap...-Adjustable-/262033989044?hash=item3d02715db4

This particular one has a pretty small maximum aperture, but with a little looking I bet we could get closer.
Maybe not too practical, but certainly interesting. A Rube Goldberg version of moonlight mode?
~D

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!

Edited the craziest stuff.

Though, another crazy idea is glass lens protection, retractable iris.
Could be so trick, I want it yesterday.

OK, last lunatic fringe thought, retractable iris and retractable hood,
Privacy lighting ☺

Idk, I think until someone makes a reflector like an old salad dryer/flower that opens and closes slightly inside head, I'm stuck.
I could live with some artifact for a colander collimator..☺

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
What would be good diffusor material? I'm looking for light diffusor, as the spot is now too small and I'd like some of it to spread to the spill light. I tried some clear packacing plastic sanded with sandpaper but that was a bit too harsh and cut off too much light.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast