No More Donations Needed for Christmas Gifts XII

ksbman

Flashaholic*
The reason I joined CPF was because I was always looking for the best work light. I'm an Aircraft mechanic who works outside on 3rd shift. I would buy lights, try them out, move on to the next; never satisfied. I would end up with lights sitting around, not being used. I have never been a collector, so I wanted to pass on my "rejects", perfectly good lights, just not up to my picky standards.

And again this year, I have a couple lights I'd like to pass on, but there is no new Christmas thread. csshih has done a great job with this holiday tradition for the last four years, but it looks like he no longer visits CPF. I will host this one more time and hope that someone will step up next year to do the honors.

So, without further ado-

[URL=https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1694997&postcount=1]2006[/URL]It's (past) that time of year again. :santa:

Here's the way the give-away was done in the past - 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213568 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013- and this year we'll do it the same way. What I'm asking for is to have some of you donate a light that you're not using to make someone else's Christmas brighter.

If you have something to donate, please don't post what it is in this thread. I'd like to keep that a surprise until the day of the drawing. Send me an e-mail or a PM with what you'd like to donate. It could be a light (new or used), batteries, charger, whatever.

If you do donate, it would be easiest if you just held on to the light until it is chosen. That way you could send it directly to the person who chose it, instead of mailing it to me and having me mail it again.

Donations will be accepted at any time, even after the give-away has started.

This thread is just for people who would like to donate a light. I've started a different thread for those of you who would like to receive a light. Because this give-away has started so late, some (most?) of you may not receive your gift until after Christmas. I'll post the list of donations and those who sign up to receive on next Friday, the 12th. It may be a short list this year, with the short notice and all, but lets give it a go.

Like I said earlier, I hope someone new will step up next year to continue this great CPF tradition. Even just taking turns, someone different host this each year would be easy. I haven't been around much in the past few years except for the Christmas threads and to buy cool lights in Custom & Mod B/S/T. Being just a lurker anymore, most people here don't know me and I don't know them. But I'll always proudly be a Flashaholic.

:grouphug: Thanks Everyone.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Donations Needed for Christmas Gifts XII

I'm in!

As my custom my gift will be a mystery gift!!!

YOU ROCK ksbman!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

kelmo

msim

Enlightened

Was wondering if one of these would pop up this year! Glad to see it. I'll look around my collection and see if there's something that needs a new home!

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Hey Keith, was looking for this topic a couple of weeks back. Let me check to see what I have. Will let you know after that, but once again I'll donate something this year too.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm definitely in. PM to follow.

And ksbman, just wanted to say thanks for doing this for all these years. Inspired me to start my own giveaway thread, and I know it can be a lot of work, especially when things don't go as planned. Kudos to you sir!

ksbman

Flashaholic*

Now I know why I'm not getting many people signed up in my Christmas thread, you've already given everyone a light. :ohgeez:

Pretty impressive Giveaway you have going there, thedoc007. :bow:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pretty impressive Giveaway you have going there, thedoc007. :bow:

Thanks! The Christmas thread is what inspired me to do it...so some of the credit is yours. Also, several other people kicked in items too. Hopefully we can keep it going year round, albeit at a slower pace. The CPF community is definitely a step above your typical online forum, and I'm just happy to be a part of it.

stewdogg

Enlightened

Thanks for putting in the effort kbsman!
I'm in for giving something away this year. I'll figure out what this weekend and post back.

gsr

Enlightened

I've got something I can give.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened

I am in as well, email sent with details.

ksbman

Flashaholic*

Anyone who posted or PM'd that they would like to donate but haven't told me what the are donating, please let me know soon so I can make out the list. Thanks!

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey ksbman,

Do we have enough gifts for the giftee's?

ksbman

Flashaholic*

Hey ksbman,

Do we have enough gifts for the giftee's?

We do, thanks to everyone who donated this year.:clap:

With only 10 people signed up to receive a gift we have plenty. Even a few left over for the last minute people who usually show up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

You can blame certain individuals over the last handful of years who let their selfish, obscene, vomit-inducing Greed utterly ruin a noble tradition. It was never intended to provide free quality lights to those who had the money but simply refused to spend their own. Towards the end, the number of needy members was horribly overshadowed by the greedy ones. As a donor during the last several Giveaways, I saw it happen countless times. Not just greed, but attitude as well if a light was delayed in the mail or lost / stolen by postal thieves. (And I don't mean a humble attitude either.)

I saw it year after year after.... Some of the individuals who received lights don't even deserve to be called "Members." Look through their post counts. Several would post in a Giveaway topic, disappear for a year, then their next post was in the following year's Giveaway topic. They weren't even members of this community. Yet, the two who hosted the Giveaways continued to show generosity and charity FAR longer than the saintliest of human-beings would have. And that goes for a lot of the donors too. But by the last handful of years, the level of Greed went beyond ridiculous.

Every light given away to the greedy, was one that didn't end up in the hands of a needy person who struggled during the Christmas season to make sure that their children at least had a small toy from Santa underneath the tree. In my book, that's theft. But hey!.... Why worry about screwing over a face-less stranger when you can get a free light! Quite a few needy individuals were helped. Many more just wanted a free light.

I know that neither one of the hosts would endorse this post of mine. What they both did was extraordinary. It inspired generosity to a degree that simply does not exist on other forum sites. Not even microscopically close. (I know. I belong to too many other forum sites. Most are related to edc items.) Nor do I presume to speak for other donors. It's just what I saw over several years of donating and participating in the last few Giveaway topics.

Okay..... So there won't be one for 2015. Like I said, the level of Greed went beyond ridiculous. I would have been surprised if there was a 2015 topic. Both hosts did literally a saintly job. I hope no one tries to guilt either one of them for not hosting a Giveaway topic this year.

The two individuals who have hosted the Giveaways.... haven't posted on CPF for at least a full year. I'm sure there were other reasons why they stopped coming here. But I can't shake the feeling that the sheer Greed they saw every year was at least a contributing factor. They're both better human-beings than I am. Neither one would post what I just did. Even though it's the truth.

Last edited: