Bring back 3-click lockout mode to HDS lights

Would you like to see 3-click lockout returned to the HDS interface?

• Yes - please restore the 3-click lockout.

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • No - I prefer to have candle mode.

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
As per a discussion in the HDS #18 thread there has been a lot of discussion pertaining to the removal of the 3-click lockout feature due to memory space in the programming interface. The sacrifice of this very practical feature was to implement a less practical feature which is the candle mode. As a work around, user who lock out their light are being asked to simply turn their battery tube out 1/2 turn. I feel this is a clunky workaround for what was an elegant solution.

Please vote here if you would like to see the 3-click lockout mode restored.

Edit note: Hogo has said removing the feature was not an issue of memory space in the hardware. So please note this poll as really a decision between:
Yes - restore 3-click lockout
No - don't restore the feature

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
As per a discussion in the HDS #18 thread there has been a lot of discussion pertaining to the removal of the 3-click lockout feature due to memory space in the programming interface. The sacrifice of this very practical feature was to implement a less practical feature which is the candle mode. As a work around, user who lock out their light are being asked to simply turn their battery tube out 1/2 turn. I feel this is a clunky workaround for what was an elegant solution.

Please vote here if you would like to see the 3-click lockout mode restored.

A lot of folks seem to think that candle mode replaced the lock out feature.
WRONG! WRONG! Incorrect thinking! (Sorry. It's the probation officer coming out in me)
It did not replace it.
The thought was this, make the menu smaller. By simply turning the battery tube, it's locked out.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have never used lockout mode and I have never had a HDS come on in my pocket. But I can understand why those who did use it would want it back...

TX Silver

Newly Enlightened
The loss of lockout due to lack of "space" was speculation in one of the posts in that thread. Hogo stated otherwise as PSM posted above, so shouldn't this just be a

Yes - I want my lockout back
or
No - Three clicks confuses me. :duh2:

as opposed to a preference of lockout over candle.

Personally I voted yes. I've used it once in the years I've had an HDS. Don't know if I'd use it again but its nice to have just in case.

Candle mode still seems more like fireplace mode to me. It would be nice if it were dimmer for those amorous moments.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I have never used lockout mode and I have never had a HDS come on in my pocket. But I can understand why those who did use it would want it back...

+1

Can I vote for lower output on locator beacon and candle mode? Oops wrong poll. Lol

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
I am missing it very much on my Rotary! Everytime my Clicky went into my pocket, i automaticly locked the light with the three clicks. So easy and useful!

greetings from germany

Nick

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I had the flush button, I did not use the lockout mode. However, ever since I started using a raised button with my HDS, I wished for a electronic lockout mode. I have been told countless time, that my pant is 'on'. I prefer not to have to manually twist the hds to lock it out.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when the original discussion happened over the summer of 2014 it was said that the lockout mode was bumped due to a lack of memory space when new features were implemented. I'll have a dig and see if I can find the posts.

Regardless - my poll is what it is since you can't change them once created. You are really voting Yes/No for getting the electronic lockout mode back regardless of whether or not it was a memory space or menu function driven change.

TX Silver

Newly Enlightened
Back when the original discussion happened over the summer of 2014 it was said that the lockout mode was bumped due to a lack of memory space when new features were implemented. I'll have a dig and see if I can find the posts.

No worries. I remember one that was speculation. There's a lot I miss in the HDS threads. Too many pages for me to follow sometimes. :D

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to bring the electronic lock-out back as well, but instead of three flashes indicating the lock-out, I'd like a pure momentary of max brightness. I really like tactical momentary, but I do not care for the rotary dial at all. This would be a good place to put momentary on a clicky

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I would love to bring the electronic lock-out back as well, but instead of three flashes indicating the lock-out, I'd like a pure momentary of max brightness. I really like tactical momentary, but I do not care for the rotary dial at all. This would be a good place to put momentary on a clicky

Brilliant really. Nice idea.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Nope, never had the need to lock any light out.

I carry lights in a holster, in bags, in my pocket. All my HDS are raised button. Never had one come on unintentionally.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting idea, but what if you locked it out to toss it in a travel bag and things shifted so that something was resting pushing the button in? On full high you'd still toast a cell in an hour.

You can get tactical momentary high even on a rotary if you setup the light right. This has been discussed several times throughout HDS threads #17 and #18.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting idea, but what if you locked it out to toss it in a travel bag and things shifted so that something was resting pushing the button in? On full high you'd still toast a cell in an hour.

You can get tactical momentary high even on a rotary if you setup the light right. This has been discussed several times throughout HDS threads #17 and #18.

Although possible, situations where a Clicky switch will be constantly depressed accidentally are unlikely. I would assume the majority accidental activations result from single, quick clicks.

The momentary currently available to the clicky and rotaries is a "pseudo momentary". A quick click or flash of light would result in "constant on" light.

chadvone

Enlightened
Yes, restore lockout. Put low flash locator beacon in with the strobes and brightness selections. I don't know what candle mode even is. but don't sound like I need it. Could it also be but into the brightness selections ??????

d13avo

Enlightened
I have never owned an HDS with lock out mode and I have never twisted 1/2 a turn and so far in the last couple of months it's not been accidentally activated.......touch wood! But I have the flush button. I can see why some would want it but personally I think by having candle mode you have still got lock out mode by twisting 1/2 a turn so happy days.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes, restore lockout. Put low flash locator beacon in with the strobes and brightness selections. I don't know what candle mode even is. but don't sound like I need it. Could it also be but into the brightness selections ??????

I definitely would not want to lose locator beacon from the quick access clicks. That feature, to me, is more useful than lockout even. And I do not want to have to go through the programming menu to turn beacon on/off. It's cumbersome when you only want to have it on for certain applications and want to be able to easily and quickly activate or deactivate it.

chadvone

Enlightened
I definitely would not want to lose locator beacon from the quick access clicks. That feature, to me, is more useful than lockout even. And I do not want to have to go through the programming menu to turn beacon on/off. It's cumbersome when you only want to have it on for certain applications and want to be able to easily and quickly activate or deactivate it.

Where is locator beacon on newer models ? On mine i have to go into menu to turn it on. I would much rather be able to set it to a output. Like the triple click output.

nbp

Flashaholic
Where is locator beacon on newer models ? On mine i have to go into menu to turn it on. I would much rather be able to set it to a output. Like the triple click output.

4-click from off turns locator on/off. 5-click from off turns make-out mode on/off. No need to set it to a specific output setting. It's always available.