Cree XLamp XP-E2 High Power OR Philips Luxeon ES ?

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
I've never touched either, but from a brief look at the specs I'd be tempted to say the Luxeon ES kicks the XP-E2; others may have a more informed opinion.

To me the colour should be "greener" (less towards blue), the forward voltage seems a LOT less at 1Amp (2.9V vs 3.7V!), and if I'm reading it correctly then the lumens output is also quite a bit higher; 266 @ 1Amp vs about 200 for the XP-E2.

I knew the forward voltages on Cree greens were bad, but didn't realise that Luxeon had much better fV's; might have to investigate them for RGBW...

WeLight

Enlightened
I've never touched either, but from a brief look at the specs I'd be tempted to say the Luxeon ES kicks the XP-E2; others may have a more informed opinion.

To me the colour should be "greener" (less towards blue), the forward voltage seems a LOT less at 1Amp (2.9V vs 3.7V!), and if I'm reading it correctly then the lumens output is also quite a bit higher; 266 @ 1Amp vs about 200 for the XP-E2.

I knew the forward voltages on Cree greens were bad, but didn't realise that Luxeon had much better fV's; might have to investigate them for RGBW...

Really, you really believe there is that much difference in the two. I have heard of bin creep but this is silly
NO Rebel is not 2.9V at 1A
NO Rebel is not 266 lumens at 1Amp

mnm99

Newly Enlightened
Really, you really believe there is that much difference in the two. I have heard of bin creep but this is silly

Yes they are much different from each other. I tend to believe the EP specs for another reason also. When you call or email Dave at LED Supply he gets right back to you and is friendly with answers. On the other hand I'm not real happy with Steve's LED. The only way to contact him is by email and he NEVER gets back to you. I bought from Steve's once and never got a response when I place the order. I got it, but my only confirmation was when it was at my door.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
I was doing on the specs listed on the site linked, I admit I didn't check the datasheet. That said, now that I DO check the datasheet, it STILL kicks the XP-E2; fV @ 1Amp of ~3.2V, with about the same lumens (maybe slightly less, I'm extrapolating about 199). I realise that you have a heavily vested interest in promoting Cree, but sometimes other manufacturers outperform them.

mnm99

Newly Enlightened
I was doing on the specs listed on the site linked, I admit I didn't check the datasheet. That said, now that I DO check the datasheet, it STILL kicks the XP-E2; fV @ 1Amp of ~3.2V, with about the same lumens (maybe slightly less, I'm extrapolating about 199). I realise that you have a heavily vested interest in promoting Cree, but sometimes other manufacturers outperform them.

Thanks.

Now a silly question. How bad are the Ebay led's compared to both of them? Just had to ask.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-3W-Gr...615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c35009bc7

WeLight

Enlightened
Im about promoting the best solution, Cree or otherwise, I just find the notion of believing stuff people put on some web sites gets taken with a pinch of salt. Lumileds make some great products, no doubt. Cree is brighter at 1Amp but Rebel is a 1/10 volt lower vf

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Cree is brighter at 1Amp but Rebel is a 1/10 volt lower vf
My reading of the data sheet (pg 8) is that the green XP-E2 has a vf @1Amp of 3.7 Volts, vs about 3.2 Volts @1Amp for the Luxeon ES (figure 10, page 12)? Or am I missing something? Both appear to be spec'd @25c

Last edited: