• Lowest: 1 Lumen / 12 hours
  • Output / Runtime (Using AA):
    • Turbo: 160 Lumens / 45 Minutes
    • High: 90 Lumens / 2 Hours
    • Medium: 40 Lumens / 2.5 Hours
    • Low: 17 Lumens / 3.5 Hours
    • Lowest: 1 Lumen / 10 Hours
  • Runs on 1 x 14500 or 1 x AA

Most of you are probably aware of this updated Explorer series model yet, 11mm longer than the 3 years old predecessor EA1 (2012 XP-G 180lm, 2014 XP-G2 190lm, discontinued see 2015 PDF catalog), but there was no dedicated thread here on the forum maybe because of lack of interest. I don't believe that the driver will be impressively efficient compared to Fenix or Zebralight but the EA11 may well be the farthest throwing 1xAA XML pocket rocket. We'll compare when the new Armytek Partner is out.

There's no rush to buy, Nitecore is always sold heavily discounted during Black Friday Sales or one could ask GB, BG or Illumn for a coupon code, and i would want to see 1 single full review first (either by selfbuilt or UPz — the only two reviewers in the entire scene whose reviews i have respect for) and whether this model series continues to be populal among the crowds. If you folks don't find it interesting or worth praising, then i won't bite. Peer pressure. :D

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... they really forfeited med/low lumen efficiency to drive that light - I ran my TN Neutron 2A V2 @ 6 lumens for over 30 hrs on an Eneloop or ~180 lumen-hours which is about right for a AA. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the NV2 which according to Selfbuilt is producing similar throw numbers on a 14500 (and much better on an Eneloop).

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
there was no dedicated thread here on the forum maybe because of lack of interest.

Not sure it's a lack of interest, as these new Explorer lights are pretty interesting, but I personally wait for a light to have an official product page on the company's website before I post a new thread.

incd

Newly Enlightened
Pocket clip seem to be the same with EC21, which i am afraid it is not to sturdy.

Capolini

Banned
Turbo must be a burst mode for a light that small and w/ the capacity of a 14500?

I would bet on that which basically reduces this to a 300 lumen light!

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've pre ordered the EX11 a few weeks ago that excepts a 18350 cell. Not sure how long the wait is going be?

moodysj

Newly Enlightened
Why is it no one rates lumens and runtime on lithium primaries? For example AA energizer ultimate lithium

dailydR1ver

Newly Enlightened
I've pre ordered the EX11 a few weeks ago that excepts a 18350 cell. Not sure how long the wait is going be?

What is this EX11 your speaking of? Is there a new version coming out?

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad, that was a typo. Its a EC11 available for pre order from Battery Junction. I received a update recently stating it may still be 2-3 weeks before they are available.

bwl

Newly Enlightened
Output / Runtime (Using 14500):

• Turbo: 900 Lumens / 30 Minutes

How do they manage to do this on such a small flashlight without frying the emmiter?

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this in production yet, if not the specs must be conservative.

But it does look like a turn in the right direction, enough for me to actually give them my money, after a decent review has been posted.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this in production yet, if not the specs must be conservative.

But it does look like a turn in the right direction, enough for me to actually give them my money, after a decent review has been posted.

it is available on quite a few websites for sale right now not sure how long it has been available for, a few weeks perhaps? The efficiency on low seems either way off or horrendous? Only 10 hours on 1 lumen low?

chuckhov

Enlightened
I know that it's 'For Sale', but I really doubt that it's actually 'available' right now, or surely we would have heard from someone?

About the runtimes - It may be that Nitecore is turning over a new leaf? - You have heard that 'even bad publicity can be good publicity', so what better way to draw attention to the problem?

Someone has to do it, or it's just never gonna happen.

If I were a manufacturer, I would be afraid (for sales) to advertise 12hrs, while every one else 'seems' to be getting >100hrs.

So, maybe we should just wait and see... Not saying that any of this is so; I dunno... But - We will see.

I have their EC21 and Love It, and so I am interested in a smaller, more floody version too, but for me, it would be the EC11. (18350)

Not a sin to want more than one Pocket Rocket, is it:)

Thanks,
-Chuck

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that it's 'For Sale', but I really doubt that it's actually 'available' right now, or surely we would have heard from someone?

About the runtimes - It may be that Nitecore is turning over a new leaf? - You have heard that 'even bad publicity can be good publicity', so what better way to draw attention to the problem?

Someone has to do it, or it's just never gonna happen.

If I were a manufacturer, I would be afraid (for sales) to advertise 12hrs, while every one else 'seems' to be getting >100hrs.

So, maybe we should just wait and see... Not saying that any of this is so; I dunno... But - We will see.

I have their EC21 and Love It, and so I am interested in a smaller, more floody version too, but for me, it would be the EC11. (18350)

Not a sin to want more than one Pocket Rocket, is it:)

Thanks,
-Chuck

It is actually available through some major online websites and some reviews on those sites are posted but they aren't in depth like what we are waiting for. I would love to get one to test but not sure I can afford to right now, the brightness is promising but if ur times are so short it wouldn't be what I'm looking for.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're correct, of course - I wrote that with the EC11 on my mind. - My Bad.

<sigh>

Thanks,
-Chuck

Not a problem! The EA11 is still yet to be thoroughly reviewed and tested. I'm wondering what parasitic drain is like, the run times and actual lumen outputs. If it indeed gets 900 lumens from a 14500 I have to wonder if there is any step down as it would likely heat up quickly.. And once it steps down how far does it go and what is the battery life? If I see one for a good deal I may get one to test out. Also of note the EC11 is starting to show up for sale at some retailers but is showing a 3-5 day wait for shipping which tells me they haven't received inventory yet. The ability to use 18350 batteries is quite nice.

Edit: found this in the user manual for the EA11, this seems like pretty high amounts of standby drain even for lockout mode? "In lockout mode,the EA11 conserves battery power for over 77 days; the two buttons on EA11 will not work, thus preventing accidental activation of the light."

Last edited:

robert.t

Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting one of these, not so much for the 900 lumens but it seems like a nice little light for several reasons. Flashaholics.co.uk are showing these as in stock and their stock info is usually pretty accurate. Their description states that 900 lumen turbo can only be achieved on an unprotected IMR 14500, not a typical protected ICR. As far as I can tell, while the light does have a voltmeter, it does not have over discharge protection, so you need to be very careful to continually check the cell voltage if running on IMR.

No information about max output on ICR, but I'll stab a guess at about 600 lumens in line with other XM-L2, 14500 based lights. Would be interesting to see a review and a proper test on all 4 main chemistries. It's only rated at 160 lumens on alkaline, but I wonder if it does better on Eneloops since that's what I'd probably use most of the time, for max runtime.

Trevilux

Enlightened
NITECORE EA11:
I am checking this days with 14500 Nitecore, with IMR 14500 Aw and Eneloop NiMH.

This night first graphic 5 minutes (IMR, 14500 Li-Ion, NiMH)

uJy3ijY.jpg

Grup%2BB.jpg

Last edited:

Trevilux

Enlightened
First 6 minutes of runtime with NiMH Eneloop, 14500 IMR AW and Nitecore NL147 (14500)
I've used a little fan for the test:

EsthfJt.jpg