MaG M*G mod Questions

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
So if one were to use a Gy6.35 Bi-Pin your better off with a 3d or longer maglite due to most bi-pin bulbs available are 12v and up right?
I have a 2d m*g and am afraid i am stuck with ROP and MTG2 or any other LED MOD. As for going ican route i am limited with a 2D correct?
Personally after seeing the HI ROP the tint is PERFECT but want more power. so maybe a 12v ican with 3x 18650s ina 3d m*g should out do a ROP hi right?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many other different configuration for 2D M*g and 3D M*g
Use advance search, click on post, type fivemega then choose one year and older. You will see many closed threads to get some idea.
BTW, don't forget possibility of using 26500 and 26650 in 2D and 3D.

Conte

Enlightened
Not really, cause 3x 18650s are only 12v for a very short period of time then the bulb gets very under driven.
There are actually better 2D options.

The WA1274 and the FM G4 Axial 6.6v.
They both work well with 2x 26650 IMR cells with some sort of FET switch mod.
They run at their operation sweet spot with those batteries and aren't over driven. Probably not quite as hot as a ROP Hi 54.
The Axial 6.6v seems identical to the ROP Hi 53 (7.4v version) in its output and performance, but can be driven harder.

Some cheap 12v bulbs actually run better being pushed by 4x IMR cells in a 4D mag.

Back in the good old days, in a 2D mag you could run a WA1111 with 2x Lions cells and it would kick.

Today, the ROP Hi your running now probably is the best option for output in a 2D. YOu can improve it if you have the crafting skills to build a FET Switch. This will lower switch resistance, allowing more current to make it to the bulb, and with increase output my at least 10%. YOu have to be careful as with a FET switch you can almost flash a 54 bulb. Should flash for sure with IMR cells and a FET switch.

If you really want to take the incan mag to the next level, the absolute best option in my opinion is to build a JM-PHD-D1 regulated 3D or 4D.
Then you can put in a bulb rated one cell less than what you have and push it to it's limit.
The FM 6.6v Axial will out do a ROP pushed to like 8v with the JM and 3x IMR.
If you could find a good old WA1185 you can push it safely beyond what people were doing back in it's hayday with the JM and 4x IMR.

Oh and, unless you haven't noticed my hints already, 26650 IMR cells really are the way to go to get the best out of incan bulbs.
18650's with have to low capacity in the IMR/High Outputs, or to much voltage sag in the standard High Cap and their voltage drops quickly.
You may gain improvements from your ROP just from switching over to 26650 cells.

Just shooting out some opinions and ideas. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Mr. Nobody

Enlightened
Not really, cause 3x 18650s are only 12v for a very short period of time then the bulb gets very under driven.
There are actually better 2D options.

The WA1274 and the FM G4 Axial 6.6v.
They both work well with 2x 26650 IMR cells with some sort of FET switch mod.
They run at their operation sweet spot with those batteries and aren't over driven. Probably not quite as hot as a ROP Hi 54.
The Axial 6.6v seems identical to the ROP Hi 53 (7.4v version) in its output and performance, but can be driven harder.

Some cheap 12v bulbs actually run better being pushed by 4x IMR cells in a 4D mag.

Back in the good old days, in a 2D mag you could run a WA1111 with 2x Lions cells and it would kick.

Today, the ROP Hi your running now probably is the best option for output in a 2D. YOu can improve it if you have the crafting skills to build a FET Switch. This will lower switch resistance, allowing more current to make it to the bulb, and with increase output my at least 10%. YOu have to be careful as with a FET switch you can almost flash a 54 bulb. Should flash for sure with IMR cells and a FET switch.

If you really want to take the incan mag to the next level, the absolute best option in my opinion is to build a JM-PHD-D1 regulated 3D or 4D.
Then you can put in a bulb rated one cell less than what you have and push it to it's limit.
The FM 6.6v Axial will out do a ROP pushed to like 8v with the JM and 3x IMR.
If you could find a good old WA1185 you can push it safely beyond what people were doing back in it's hayday with the JM and 4x IMR.

Oh and, unless you haven't noticed my hints already, 26650 IMR cells really are the way to go to get the best out of incan bulbs.
18650's with have to low capacity in the IMR/High Outputs, or to much voltage sag in the standard High Cap and their voltage drops quickly.
You may gain improvements from your ROP just from switching over to 26650 cells.

Just shooting out some opinions and ideas. Hope it helps.
Thanks! I don't know why I said 18650, as I have two types of 26650s. Two protected 26650s that are problematic when it comes to the ROP hi bulb and 4 efest 26650s. I noticed the drop with the 18650>26650.

My next build is a 2c with VoB HS, DD g2. Than when those FM1909 bulbs come avail another mag build, 4d or 6d not sure on which one.

Why didn't I get into Modding mags a few years ago when it was the in thing to do and stuff wasn't hard to find or expensive!?

Ty for the info

Conte

Enlightened
I'll be honest, I'm not sure what a VoB HS and DD g2 are.

There is still most of what you need to do Mag Mods. Reflectors are slimmer pickings now, tho'.

I find there are only a few Incan mods that I think are worth it anyway. Basically a JM regulated. I used to have a whack of Incan Mags but I only have like 2 left.
Other have been converted to LED. Half because I've run out of Incan mods worth doing and LED components are plentiful, and half because LED have since gotten so good they just end up making good user lights. Back in the day, LED mods were a lot more difficult and the tints looks like crap.

It's like I said in my JM regulated Mag build how to thread; It's probably the last Incan hotwire I'll build. Sad but true.

Now, don't take this as a "don't bother." This is coming from a guy that's been modding mags for at least 5 years now, and has hammered thru all the hotwires he's interested in.

By all means, if you are new to Incan Mag Hotwires, there is lots to do and see, you should giver. Search for my Ultimag build thread.