L4/Pila question

Gman

Enlightened
Hey guys, please enlighten me here. I've been EDCing my L4 head on an E1 body and really like it but I finally broke down and bought a Pila battery to use in the L4 body.

Why does the L4 on the Pila get as hot as 2 123s when the KL4 on 1 123 doesn't? They're both running on about 3.6 volts right?

Why does my L4 on the Pila flicker at the end when the KL4 on the E1 body runs for hours, stays cool, and slowly dims? Is this a regulation issue? I'm mostly interested in the heat question though.

Thanx

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened
The Pila is outputing more current than a single 123. The L4 regulator is stepping up that 3.6 volts to what the LED wants. In the single cell configuration, the voltage is either just under the cutoff for the regulator, or the current output is not enough for the boost circuit to hit its target.

End result: Pila gets brighter regulated light. Single 123 gives less light, but lasts a pretty good amount of time (assuming your LED's forward voltage is in a good range).

Erik.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
At full charge the Pila is over 4 volts. The regulator in the KL4 draws more current out of the Pila than a single 123 can produce. The current is more important than the voltage being 6v. So the L4 will run in regulation for 45-60 minutes with a Pila. Not too shabby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the single 123 the KL4 head is only getting about 330mA to the LED. Although it's only running at half the current, it doesn't seem half as bright because it isn't. It's only maybe loosing 30%.

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to know which kind of Pila rechargeables (they are called Wolf-Eyes in Europe) I need in order to run my L4. I know that there are several kinds of rechargeables available from
Pila. So which one to buy ? Any help is appreciated.

Kaneda

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I answered your question in the other thread you asked it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote: 168S PILA or 168B Wolf-Eye are the 17mm dia 67mm length ones fitting the L4 etc

Klaus

Gman

Enlightened
Thanks guy, I get it now. Btw, do you know of a source for a body that fits the smaller Plias so I could run the KL4 on a Pila 150? I realize it'll cut the run time but the total package will be smaller.

Whistler

Enlightened
Hello,
you will need the 168s:
web page /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ordered them directly at ESA (shipping to The Netherlands). Quite a good deal in comparison to European sources.

In Europe (the places I know) you can get them at:
KLK
or
Ph Import

Compare...