EagleTac D25a - gone bad?

kentchristopher

Newly Enlightened
I've had a D25a for a couple years now. It hasn't gotten so much use and certainly no abuse. Tonight I took it with me on my walk to catch the northern lights. After sitting in the dark for 10 minutes I turned on the light and began my walk home. After a minute and either a click of the switch or a twist of the cap, the light went totally dead: no light at all despite a charged Eneloop XX. After several twists and clicks I knew something was wrong and used my keychain light for the walk home.

After getting home and warming up, I tried the light again and it worked, but of course now I have questions: is this the reliability to be expected from 35 degree weather? And perhaps it was there before, but is it normal for the D25a to have a slight delay between the click and the LED turning on (maybe 1/3 second) or is this a symptom of my other problem?

It should still be covered under their 10-year warranty, assuming I can find the email receipt.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The slight delay is normal... try a thorough cleaning and relube. 10 years is misleading - "electronics" (the driver) are only covered for 1 yr (I checked with them once), although they'd probably be gracious about it.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
reppans has a very good suggestion to try. I came here to suggest trying alcohol and Nyogel.

I have a few of these lights. I have to clean and lube the threads regularly. They will act up just like you describe. You can order a small tub of Nyogel from one of the vendors here. It is cheap and after you clean the treads and apply this to the threads it should work and be buttery smooth too.

Hope that helps.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have used mine in much colder weather with no problem. However, I have a 14500 battery in it. Perhaps that could be it, but Eneloops should be fine in those temps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

cyclesport

Enlightened
One other thing to examine on the D25A and D25C when experiencing intermittent operation, aside from contact cleaning, is to check to see if the switch assembly hasn't come loose. Some owners are unaware that the rear of the light can unscrew causing the symptom(s) you describe.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
cyclesport, very good add. I should have stated, that I take down the switch and clean that too. I have the D25CTis. Killer little lights for the $$ for sure.