Is the Lightwave 4000 underdriven?

soloco

Enlightened
I took out my old Lightwave 4000 and walked around the inside and outside of my house comparing it to a 2AA minimag with a wide open BB ls drop in. The luxeon seemed to do better at a distance (which was expected), but even up close the luxeon seemed much brighter. Is a luxeon that much brighter than 10 5mm LEDs? I suspect the Lightwave 4000 may be underdriven. It seems as bright as my Inova X5 and that's got 5 LEDs. Does anyone know of a way maybe lower/remove the resistance from the LW4000?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was just going to say the Inova X5 overdrives its LEDs (38mA apiece in the white version, which is high but not horribly so) but I see I got beaten to it. I don't know what current the LEDs in the Lightwave 4000 are driven at.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't know about the LW4000, but I know that the Nuwai AT-100 (10 LED's), lags quite a bit behind the output of my CMG Reactor 3. There 's a beamshot showing a pretty good brightness comparison here.
comparison.jpg

If I remember correctly, the AT-100 drives the LED's more or less at spec. I did measure it at some point, and I remember that they're not notably over/underdriven anyway.

MrMom

Enlightened
My old Lightwave 4000 was bright...until a few years ago - then one watt Luxeons started showing up. Now it's even dimmer since I've been playing with five watters. Hmmmm even the one watters are starting to look dim??????

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
Someone with more experience than me will have to tell you whether this makes it underdriven or overdriven but my Lightwave 4000 with 3 fresh alkaline D cells at 4.8v draws 340 millamps.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If the current consumption is 340mA, then each LED is receiving 34mA. So it's overdriven, but not horribly so.
The resistor(s) dissipate(s) some energy, but I did not figure this into my rather rudimentary calculation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

soloco

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I swapped in fresh D batteries, but I am still disappointed. Oh well, I guess that's the price of progress.

JJHitt

Enlightened
Dont forget that RUN TIME is one of the LW's biggest selling points.

Leave the X5, 2AA drop-in and LW4000 turned on for 48 hours and then see which one disappoints you.