TWAK + 3xAAs vs 3xCs vs 3xDs (Which should I do?)

drumgod

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've got a TWAK on the way and I'm trying to figure out what I'll do with it. I know the 3D Mag is a really popular and proven base. I'm just not a huge fan of them. Right now I'm leaning towards trying to cut down a D Mag to hold a single 3toD adapter. How do the LuxIIIs do DD off 3xAA compared to 3Cs or 3Ds? Run time for each? Do these three configurations all put out about the same amount/quality of light?

Thanks!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're planning on using the EL 3toD adapter, it has some built in resistance so it will not be as bright as DD off 3 C's or 3 D's. You can fit 3 C cells in a 2D mag if that's better for you than the 3D mag.

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
I have both a 3C and 3D Mag with TWAK DD. I like the size of the 3C better, (you can stick it in your back pocket easier). I usually run 3AA's in the 3C seems just as bright,(made a tube), plus makes the light really light. And actually get pretty good runtime off of the 3AA's. Best of all with this set-up, no more ugly yellow light like the stock bulb! Plus it's brighter than stock!!!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can do a search of the battery capacities of A, C, and D cells in mAh, then find their relative runtimes.

drumgod

Newly Enlightened
Re: TWAK + 3xAAs vs 3xCs vs 3xDs (Which should I d

Thanks for the input guys,

MTFD17: I have the new style 3toDs on order. (Less resistance.) Or, I can make one. Yeah, it would be pretty easy to do the run time math. Not as easy as asking though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

harebawl: Thanks for the AA/C body tips and usage info.

G Pilot: Thanks for the heads up! I have some liths kickin' around. I probably would wave stuck them in without thinking.

I'm still thinking I'll try the 1D mag mod, maybe really short with the switch in the tail. Although, I really like the size and versatility of the C Mags. I guess I'll just have to find another decent LuxIII (or two, or three... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif)

Good thing I'm a single flashaholic. My friends think I'm nuts, a wife would probably be pissed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've used 3 L91s in this host with the TWAK and it has been fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
hotbeam3aa_1a.jpg

And here are the bits and pieces that make up that light.
hotbeam3aa_1_modbits.jpg

The initial build thread (with Q3J) is here

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Sorry off topic...
Wow hotbeam, are those little baby Hotlips there that I see?! Those things are cute. By chance do you have any left from the build? I'd be interested in a few. Please PM me if yes.

BTW that's a nice bright mod. Excellent work.

G Pilot

Enlightened

Harebawl,
Does 3 AA's give you the same brightness as 3 C's or 3 D's?

Hotbeam
I guess you have been lucky or I have not. That exact same combo blew my TWAK after about minute after I turned it on. I had a good half inch of heat sinking too.

drumgod

Newly Enlightened

Good stuff!

Hotbeam,
Thanks for the link and pics. I'm not sure how I missed that one. Also, I got your confirmation of my hotlips order, thanks. I was thinking about making my own heatsink but then thought "um, why?" Much easier to purchase your proven product. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G Pilot,
Maybe the switch in the host that Hotbeam used has more resistance than your setup? That could explain his working fine but yours nuking? As to the brightness question to Harebawl, in his first post he said:
[ QUOTE ]
I usually run 3AA's in the 3C seems just as bright...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again to all for their input!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regardless of if you use AA, C, or D cells the brightness should be the same. It's just a matter of runtimes and the compromise between runtime and bulk/weight.

G Pilot

Enlightened

I used a kroll switch, so I don't know what kind of resistance is associated with it.

harebawl

Newly Enlightened

G PILOT,
The brightness appears to be the same weather I use AA, c's, or d's.

I run the AA's more because I have more of them laying around and the 3c mag is wicked light using them! I made a closed cell foam tube as a spacer, no added weight....

I have to say again to anyone who has not done this mod yet, It is unbelievable how much light on of this LED puts out!! Alot brighter than stock! I give it 2 big thumbs up!!!!!