Need a Novatac Spring/Novatac Advice

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
i recently purchased two Novatac Lights: A new Two cell AA Novatac Classic, and a Novatac SPA Defense SPL-120 that has been Modded with a warm XP-L. In looking to make the lights a little more broad spectrum, I purchased two aftermarket body tubes. I thought I had purchased one 18650 body tube and spring and one 17670 body tube and spring. In reality I recieved two 17670 body tubes. The classic works great. When I went to replace the single 16340 body with what I thought was an 18650, I really screwed up and inadvertently stretched out and bent the spring designed to work with the 16340. Does anyone know where I can purchase a new or used spring for the single 16340 body tube? The light comes on extremely bright, then goes off-the standard method of restoring the original programming will not work. If I use it with the 17670 spring and tube or the two cell AA body, it works normal. I confess I have very little experience with Novatacs, and it appears the company has gone out of business. Their web site has a note that their account is suspended. I tried the listed phone numbers and all are out of service. I have sent emails with no response. The Novatac 120 looks identical to the HDS 120, does anyone know if they use the same spring? I appreciate any and all assistance.
Yours truly,
Crazyeddiethefirst

pc_light

Enlightened
I've only recently learned myself that the spring is an integral part of the "signals" sent to the head of the HDS.

I'm not sure about the SPL-120 but for my older HDS EDC's, it behaves like this when the spring is "shorting" with the battery tube and hence not functioning normally. I found that shorts occur at the ends, the spring finds it way into the crack between where the battery tube and head/tail meet.

I suspect the HDS and Novatac of the same/similar model take the same spring. Good luck.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only recently learned myself that the spring is an integral part of the "signals" sent to the head of the HDS.

I'm not sure about the SPL-120 but for my older HDS EDC's, it behaves like this when the spring is "shorting" the with battery tube and hence not functioning normally. I found that shorts occur at the ends, apparently if the spring finds it way into the crack between there the battery tube and head/tail make contact.

I suspect the HDS and Novatac of the same/similar model take the same spring. Good luck.

It is apparent that for both lights the spring diameter must be smaller than the battery tube. I have multiple messages awaiting reply. After finally mastering the programming I can't use the light for want of a spring...
Thanks for the response...