Nitecore SRT3 -> EC11 body-extender compatibility?

ahirshy

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF'ers,

Recently been wrestling with the decision of which E-Series Nitecore to purchase; the AA-based EA11, or CR123-format EC11...

I just don't understand Nitecore producing all these series of lights that share the same head (EA11/EC11/etc). I'm guessing the drivers might be optimised somehow to cater for getting the most out of each voltage Primary? And obviously a great money making system too!

But if SWM & Jetbeam can make extension-tubes for their CR123 lights to support AA, why don't Nitecore offer this. Indeed even Nitecore have themselves proven they can do it with the SRT3! Which makes me wonder...

SRT3_En11.jpg

Has anyone with an SRT3 tried using the body extender on the EC11? Head diameters look to be identical (25.4mm). Could imagine the threads would also be the same.

EC11_EN02.jpg

If the body extender from the SRT3 fits onto the EC11, then maybe we can use 14500 in the EC11 without a duplicate EA11 purchase?!

Just a thought, would be great to know definitively.
All the best
Hirsh

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mea Culpa, I read this thread earlier today. When I had time to try, instead of trying the AA extender from the SRT3 on the EC11, I tried swapping heads...which did nothing except turn the reverse polarity protection on the SRT3 into broken pieces of plastic....
OK, now, having reread the OP, let's try it the correct way...
No, the SRT3 AA extender, although the same diameter as the EC11, has different thread size, and cannot be used interchangeably. I do wonder, if the SRT3 could be bored to 18mm so like the EC11 it could then use 18350's? The EC11 on 18350's is amazing! Well, enough playing with Lego's for today...

Amelia

Enlightened
...I do wonder, if the SRT3 could be bored to 18mm so like the EC11 it could then use 18350's? The EC11 on 18350's is amazing! Well, enough playing with Lego's for today...

Yes, the SRT3 body and extender tube can be bored to 18mm. I took my two SRT3s and their pair of extender tubes to a local machinist, along with my largest diameter 18650 cell. He bored the body and extender tubes to fit it, with just a tiny bit of extra diameter.

My SRT3 now runs on EVERYTHING from CR123 size to 18650 and everything in between by running it with 2, 1, or 0 extender tubes. Of course, I had to buy a pair of SRT3s and some machine shop time to accomplish this... but I think it was worth it. I now have the ultimate "multi-fueller" light, and an extra "stubby" SRT3 that accepts 16340 or 18350 cells.

Now... if I could just get the emitter swapped to something neutral or High-CRI... :)

Last edited:

ahirshy

Newly Enlightened
Mea Culpa, I read this thread earlier today. When I had time to try, instead of trying the AA extender from the SRT3 on the EC11, I tried swapping heads...which did nothing except turn the reverse polarity protection on the SRT3 into broken pieces of plastic....

Oh man, sorry to hear that happened. Hope it doesn't affect the use of your SRT3, or the plastic can be replaced. Never trust a CPF user's first post! In my defence swapping the heads was not something I was considering, but wise lesson learned for everyone else I guess.

OK, now, having reread the OP, let's try it the correct way...
No, the SRT3 AA extender, although the same diameter as the EC11, has different thread size, and cannot be used interchangeably. I do wonder, if the SRT3 could be bored to 18mm so like the EC11 it could then use 18350's? The EC11 on 18350's is amazing! Well, enough playing with Lego's for today...

Thanks for the confirmation, that rules that idea out then! But it's great to find someone willing to try.
It would be useful to hear the thoughts of someone who actually owns and uses both the SRT3 and newer EC11...

If you could only keep one, or had to re-purchase just one, which would it be?

I've certainly read all the reviews and feedback across various forums. In your opinion, what are the various pros and cons that each light has over the other - and are those factors important.

• [*=1]Size: SRT3 > EC11
    [*=1]Cell support: SRT3 > EC11
    [*=1]EC11 More Lumens (approx. 550 SRT3 vs 900 ED11 max output)
    [*=1]EC11 Further Beam Distance (approx. 134m SRT2 vs 190m EC11)

• [*=1]SRT3 Blue light capability
    [*=1]SRT3 Extra flashy modes
    [*=1]SRT3 Magnetic control ring (extra complexity/maintenance?)
    [*=1]EC11 Built in Multimeter/Beacon feature using red LED

• [*=1]Anything else - pocket clips, modes, buttons, beam profile, etc.

Thanks both for the feedback - much appreciated.
Hirsh

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an FYI, Nitecore was great and is sending me the replacement reverse polarity protector for the cost of postage only. My first time dealing with Nitecore customer service, they get an A+!

1dash1

Enlightened
Has anyone with an SRT3 tried using the body extender on the EC11? Head diameters look to be identical (25.4mm). Could imagine the threads would also be the same.

I noticed that the head diameter for the EC11 and EC20 were the same. So I sent an email off to Nitecore, asking them whether the EC20 body was compatible with the EC11 head. Here's their response:

Thank you for your interest in Nitecore's products, yes, we can confirm the head portion of the EC11 does fit on the body of the EC20, but unfortunately, the body is not being sold on its own.

I don't know why Nitecore would choose not to offer the tube for sale. It seems to me that it would greatly enhance the flexibility of the EC11, making it a lot more attractive for prospective buyers. But I suppose they have their reasons. :confused:

​[Edit: Corrected reference from EC21 to EC20.]

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the EC11, 21, and 20 are all compatible with the EC11 head?

1dash1

Enlightened
I corrected my original reference of EC21 to EC20.

While the EC11, EC20, and EC21 all have the same diameter head; the body of the EC21 seems shorter than the body of the EC20. I don't think that the EC20 and EC21 are interchangeable.

EC11%20vs.%20EC21%20vs.%20EC20.png

Manufacturer's photos of the three lights, adjusted to approximately the same scale (accuracy +/- 2%).
Photos lined up along the head-body dividing line for comparison of respective body sizes.

However, in examining the pictures and the reference dimensions of the flashlights, I'm drawn to the conclusion that the Nightcore response to my question was in error. It looks like the EC21, being 33mm longer than the EC11 would better accommodate the 18650 battery (30mm longer than an 18350). Both the head and the body length of the EC20 appear substantially longer than the EC21. I wouldn't think an 18650 battery would fit when matched up with an EC11 head. I'll try to contact Nightcore again, for confirmation.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, maybe Nitecore meant that the EC11 head fits on the EC20 body but wouldn't work with a battery installed.

1dash1

Enlightened
Interesting, maybe Nitecore meant that the EC11 head fits on the EC20 body but wouldn't work with a battery installed.

Here's the question I posed to Nitecore, yesterday:
Can you please clarify your last response? Can the EC20's body tube be used with the EC11 head and tail for the purpose of running the EC11 on 18650 batteries (i.e., does the 18650 battery properly fit this combination)?
Can you also check on whether the EC21's body tube can be used for this purpose?

And here is today's response from Nitecore:
Sorry for the confusion caused, yes, we have tested and confirmed the EC11 will work properly when connected with the body of a EC20 and EC21, and yes, you can fit a 18650 battery in these setups.

Note: When Nitecore refers to "the body of a EC20 and EC21", I believe that they are including the tail assembly as part of the body. Otherwise, I don't see how the plain EC20 tube (estimated 38mm) and the plain EC21 tube (estimated 33mm) could both work.

And kudos to the Nitecore Customer Service department for being so responsive. They responded to both of my inquiries within 24 hours. :thumbsup:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for contacting them. Definite kudos to Nitecore as well!

1dash1

Enlightened
Thanks for contacting them. Definite kudos to Nitecore as well!

BTW, I tried the EC11 head on a number of my other flashlights. It fit the Thorfire C8s that I purchased a couple of weeks ago for $13.99. That turned out to be a cheap way of converting the EC11 to run on 18650's. Everything works, even the battery level indicator function. And the tail switch acts as a lockout.

Not a perfect fit though. The C8s' threads are about one millimeter longer, consequently the O-ring on the C8s body barely snugs up to the EC11 head. When I use it, I'll have to either avoid getting it wet or add another O-ring to make up the difference.

Couple of photographs:

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great price. I wonder which other lights on which the EC11 head would fit.

germed

Newly Enlightened
That's a great price. I wonder which other lights on which the EC11 head would fit.

the nitecore MH12 body fits and works also

i wonder why nitecore dont sell the body seperate... the cant do this in europe because its a spare part and they have to sell spareparts by law for a certain period of time even after the take the product off the market so if someone bought it in europe from a european dealer he can buy parts tail body etc.