Nitecore P20: Which Batteries?

Doheny

Newly Enlightened
I just read a review of the P20 on another site. The reviewer said that it works better with CR123's, rather that an 18650. Does that make sense? Does anyone have experience trying both types of batteries in the P20?

Thanks in advance.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reviewer is incorrect. Go to Nitecores site and look up the P20. By Nitecores own numbers the lumen output between 18650 and cr123 is the same yet the 18650 has 4 times the run time. The reviewer may have been under the assumption that 2x battery source would increase output in this light but it does not the light is to well regulated. Best battery for this light? Any Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah based protected 18650. Orbtronic, Keeppower, Olight, Eagletac and Nitecore all make 3400mah 18650s based off the same Panasonic 3400mah cell its just the protection circuits that are different between the brands. Nitecores 3400mah 18650 is usually ridiculously expensive but is no better than the others. My personal favorite is the Orbtronic 3400mah cell the price for them just dropped to $13 a piece and is the most well made (best protection circuits, copper bottom and very well wrapped) out of the cells mentioned I run plenty of them and they are fantastic.

If you get really really really lucky you may be able to find an Orbtronic or Keeppower 3600mah 18650. These sell out as soon as they hit the shelves. The difference is a 10-15 percent jump in runtime above even 3400 mah. I have 8 of these cells and they are great. They are expensive when anyone has them in stock though. Any of the above mentioned 3400mah cells will run the P20 long and strong without breaking a sweat. CR123's are really just in case its all you have access to at a given time theyll give you the output for only one fourth the time though.

Doheny

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it didn't make sense. I just wanted to make sure since I'm planning to buy a couple 18650's and a charger.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Nitecore P20UV which is as you know only different in that it has UV LEDs around the main emitter. The only real disappointment to me was how shallow the reflector is, which makes for a lot of spill light out front and not as bright a beam.

I use Nitecore 18650 batteries with it and have more than enough light for plenty of run-time. That said, I did notice that when using 123As it is somewhat brighter than with the 18650. Enough to notice...but not double the intensity. It was also drawing 3 amps from them versus the 1.8 amps from the 18650. Clearly the higher voltage of the twin 123As is allowing it to get really bright but I am okay with it's brightness on the 18650s and much prefer the longer run time.

If you absolutely HAVE to have the 800 lumens max output, then use 123As. Just understand that you will only get about 20-30 mins runtime on them before they drop to less than half output.

Also, because they intentionally don't make it obvious...the two lower modes are controlled using PWM.

Last edited:

Doheny

Newly Enlightened
/\ Interesting.

Assuming one does get 800 lumens from two 123's, do you want to hazard a guess what you get with an 18650?