Streamlight Protac Hl USB first look

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...Streamlight has made a badass light. It's a beast. Overbuilt to say the least.

LED: XML2
Power: Streamlight 74175, same cell used in the Strion. Can also take an 18650 or two 123's. Note: the 18650 is not chargeable in the light.
Glass window!
Programmable (Streamlight tentap).
Recharged via USB, though it's slow. 14 hours on a normal USB 500mah charger.

My only dislike is that the aluminum shroud that covers the USB charging port should have been threaded, and not a press to close (an O-ring is used to hold the shroud in place.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I write for TheFirearmBlog.com, and Streamlight sent me one to write up for the Blog. I haven't even had the chance to open it yet, but will doing so very soon. Maybe I'll link to that review, but my bet is someone will review it before I do!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...Streamlight has made a badass light. It's a beast. Overbuilt to say the least.

LED: XML2
Power: Streamlight 74175, same cell used in the Strion. Can also take an 18650 or two 123's. Note: the 18650 is not chargeable in the light.
Glass window!
Programmable (Streamlight tentap).
Recharged via USB, though it's slow. 14 hours on a normal USB 500mah charger.

My only dislike is that the aluminum shroud that covers the USB charging port should have been threaded, and not a press to close (an O-ring is used to hold the shroud in place.

What sort of resistance to overcome the o'ring?

This sounds like a less than spectacular design.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's strong enough to hold the shroud closed. I'm concerned that the o ring will eventually wear out. we shall see, i guess.

Hmmmmm...... I would imagine if properly maintained, in theory, it should last a great while just like the rest of the o'rings....

photon_released

Newly Enlightened
I will have to go check their website out as I haven't heard about this one before.

I really like Streamlights products (own a Polytac 90 and a Strion HL) but their website needs a serious styling update....

I do appreciate the amount of literature and data that have for each of their lights though.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree

+2

They have a large diverse product line. ( It actually might serve them better to cut some fat. )

The Polytac & Polytac HP are extremely robust, reliable and very waterproofy.

Both can be had for under $50. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ug-Out-Bag-Hag-Streamlight-Polytac-275-Lumens

To be blunt, their marketing sucks. But in my direct experience they deliver good product & good service.

You can actually email them, and expect a response. They also have authorized local service centers for rapid repairs or replacements.

I wouldn't sweat the o'ring to much. You can grab one at Home Depo and from my experience there o'rings are far stiffer and feel more robust then stock.

Capolini

Banned
-Streamlight is in Eagleville, Pa. 7 Miles from my house!

- Most of the Cops in my area use these lights. However, they are FLOORED with my numerous Vinh modded throwers! Four local Police Depts. have seen me test my lights in the area I live in!

- My friend Bob has this light. It is about equal to the TK35 stock light in throw w/ about 150 more lumens.

- It is a nice light but fails miserably w/ battery configuration,,,CR123. You get 25/30 minutes run time on High,starts fading around 20 minutes. Bob uses some RCR123's that are not recommended but seem to do ok.

- If it took 18650 it would be a MUCH better light. Who wants a light that is NOT cost efficient and has feeble run times!

EDIT: WRONG LIGHT!! I THOUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE PROTAC 3!!! THAT IS WHAT THIS REVIEW WAS!!LOL :shakehead

GLAD TO SEE THEY HAVE AN 18650 LIGHT! ;)

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all - as mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm the flashlight writer for TheFirearmBlog.com. Finally got around to posting my mini-review of this light. Nice light, and although I don't talk about it in the review, the cover over the USB port looks substantial enough to keep water out for a very long time. This is actually a nice light - the beam is really smooth and is a nice, white tint. Neutral tint lovers might want to look elsewhere, and I am a neutral tint lover, too. However, a nice, almost "pure white" tint (not harsh) is enjoyable at times.

Review is posted here.