Arc4 vs Airport Security (TSA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I spent this week traveling to one of our remote offices in Atlanta. This was a last minute trip that I learned about late last week. Early Monday morning I left Philadelphia on my way to Atlanta. Since I had been carrying the Arc4 RC-2 since I received it, I didn't think twice about taking in on the trip. I always belt-carry my LSH-P and have been on dozens of trips since I first purchase it. I've never had an issue with security, so I didn't see how this trip would be any different. I usually have a system when flying. Before heading to the Security Gate, I go outside and catch a smoke. While I'm doing that, I'm packing all of my EDC stuff into my computer bag. This time was no different. Pager, cellphone, cellphone clip, Retrieve-It, mini wallet pen, pair of mini-eye glasses and my trusty Arc4 all find their way into my bag.

I walk up to the checkpoint, off come the shoes, the belt and the coat. My laptop comes from its case and onto the conveyor belt. I walk thru the detector without issue. Now I'm standing waiting for all my stuff to be scanned. Here comes the shoes, the belt and the laptop. "Oh poop, where the hell is my computer case" I ask myself. The lady looks and looks and looks some more. She motions over to someone else to take a peek. She shugs her shoulders and grabs my bag. "Can you grab your stuff and step over here Sir", she says. "Yes", I say. "Do you have issues with us searching you bag", she asks. "Certainly not", I reply. "I understand that you have a job to do", I reply. Anyway, to make a long story short, she is rifling thru the bag and I can tell she's going after something specific. I'm thinking to myself, "What the hell do I have in there that she's so concerned about". Before I could react any further, out comes my ARC pouch. She unlatches it and asks "What is this"? "It's a flashlight. One of only 5 or 6", I explained. "Can you turn it on for me Sir?", she asked. "I'd be more than happy to Miss. I'm always looking for a reason to fire-up one of my flashlights", especially this one. I not only fire-up my Arc4, but continued to give her a demonstration, since she seemed intrigued. After several minutes of me cycling thru the settings, she was satisfied that it was what I said it was and ended our conversation with "Thank you Sir. Have a safe flight. Oh, and nice light".

True story.......

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story TIN!

I also had an airport security issue with my Arc LS. On my flight out for Christmas, I dropped my Arc in the box along with all of my change, keys, and so on, and the guy standing there opened his eyes wide, picked up the LS (which had the twisty on it) and said very suspiciously "and what is this?"

"It's a flashlight," I said in an offhand manner.

"No kidding!" and he turned it on. "Wow! That's bright. Looks kinda military. Where did you get it?"

"On-line. It's an Arc Flashlight. They have a web site. Do a search." I said, and I'm willing to bet that he DID do a search. But the important thing is that I didn't have to surrender my light. I don't know why, but I was worried about that. NO WAY, was I going to give up my Arc LS! The more lights I own, the more I appreciate my Arc LSH. If I could own only one light, that would be the one, followed closely by my Arc AAA-LE, one of the very first LE's every made, specially for CPF, and still the AAA that has my favorite beam--not that I've gone searching through nearly as many AAA's as you have, TIN! But from the five or so that I have seen, I think I got lucky right off the bat.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my LSH-P. I will be flying at the end of the month and was wondering if I would have an issue with security. Looks like it will be just another chance to show off my light.

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened
After a security check once looked carefully at my LSH-P (.looked like a big bullet' was the quote) I have always placed my Arc next to my laptop turned on. Makes it trivial for those guys to check. Cell phone is always open and on as well.

jbk

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
When I visit my inlaws I always bring something to share with my neice. Sometimes it's lock related, sometimes it's computer related but almost always I include a few lights.

I just started carrying my LSH-P in the nylon pouch on my belt. When I went through the checkpoint last weekend I had 6 lights in my computer bag, spare batteries and enough gizmos to satisfy Inpector Gadget AND "Q". At the last moment I remembered my LS. The TSA guy's eyes got wide as I pulled it from it's "holster". I simply said "flashlight" as I dropped it in the bag.

What gets me is that neither end bothered looking at the bag full of so much wire, electronics and metal tubes except through the X-ray, and that was a quick glance. Of course, these are the same airports where I've sometimes forgotten 1 or more toys in a pocket and still passed through the metal detectors without being stopped.

On other flights, I have had my bags inspected and was allowed to show off all my lights. They are generally impressed.

It's sad that the TSA does not understand a "tactical" grade light. They should have stoped at least one of my lights from getting on the plane. On the other hand, I am allowed metal knitting needles too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.