E 15 Fenix

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who has one, what do you think of is is it a decent reliable light?

i love lights with knurling and single CR123, and only $29.00.

Knowing Fenix lights I bet it's reliable. I forgot about the E15 mostly. You're right, lights with tons of knurling are very nice. I wonder if they updated the E15 to an XP-E2? Anybody know? If so, this is a really nice pocket light if you are willing to use cr123 batteries.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
could do without the twisting through all the modes but a very solid light that should last a very long time. Id spend the extra cash for the PD25 as for this flashaholic 170 lumens doesnt do much. PD25 for CR/RCR has tail switch for on off and side switch for modes. Having to always twist the E15 on and off let alone go through modes would get to me

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah the golden age of Fenix. Still super small, bright, no mode memory, always comes on in medium (80l) first! That's what you need. Twist-only, no extra length of tail clickies that also protrude & ruin tailstanding, no side clickies to accidentally activate or else lock out, simple knurled tube design, inexpensive, high quality...

I say, go for it!

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying one for over 2 years. It has been dropped, hit by keys, lost for 2 days in the snow, dropped in mud, bath in sand and still perfectly working. It has an ingenious tail contact system that does not grind the battery like many small twisty lights. The only complaint is the plastic TIR optic that get scratched easily. For 30$, you can't go wrong. In my view, this light is the poor man's Nautilus

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried mine on a keyring in pocket for several years now and I love the thing!
Never an issue and always works when needed.
I prefer this to almost any other there just for its power to size ratio and long battery life,mine has been perfect really.

I think about getting the newer slightly more powerful one but why?

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Knowing Fenix lights I bet it's reliable. I forgot about the E15 mostly. You're right, lights with tons of knurling are very nice. I wonder if they updated the E15 to an XP-E2? Anybody know? If so, this is a really nice pocket light if you are willing to use cr123 batteries.
While I can't confirm it has a XP-E2 upgrade, I'd wager is does. I have 2xE11's (1 lost:() and an LD01 each upgraded with a XP-E2 and a HL30 upgraded to XP-G2 (all bought in last 2 years), so from that I think a new E15 will probably have a XP-E2.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah if somebody does find out if it has an XP-E2 now let us know. I guess vendors would know maybe?

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Yeah if somebody does find out if it has an XP-E2 now let us know. I guess vendors would know maybe?

Wouldn't count on it. Only visual inspection shows it is a XP-E2, the packing and description still say XP-E (for my E11 at least).
Still I think the odds are very good that it will be a XP-E2, so I say go for it.:hitit:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't count on it. Only visual inspection shows it is a XP-E2, the packing and description still say XP-E (for my E11 at least).
Still I think the odds are very good that it will be a XP-E2, so I say go for it.:hitit:

If they are out of stock and are making more they may have switched. The E40 changed to an XP-E2 a while back and I don't think it ever officially announced it did. People just started saying they had XP-E2 versions.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about this compared to a 47s MiNi CR2, I know they have different sizes but which wins in quality and longevity?

Both are good choices for a pocket size EDC.

2 good point for the E15:

-CR123 will last much longer than a CR2
-the MINI use PWM, not the fenix

2 good points for the 4/7:

- reflector instead of a plastic optic
- excellent warranty and service in the USA

I own both and if I had to choose only one, I would go for the E15. It has a better overall quality feeling.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
-the MINI use PWM, not the fenix.

I'll admit to being a 47s fanboy, but the PWM circuit used in the Mini series and Preon P1/P2s is only about half as efficient as their (and others) current regulated lights. You can see this in Selfbuilt's review of 47s current regulated Atom and Penlight, or just take tailcap current measurements if you own the light.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll admit to being a 47s fanboy, but the PWM circuit used in the Mini series and Preon P1/P2s is only about half as efficient as their (and others) current regulated lights. You can see this in Selfbuilt's review of 47s current regulated Atom and Penlight, or just take tailcap current measurements if you own the light.

Yep, that's why I give the E15 the advantage on the circuit. Plus, I find the frequency quite noticeable and it tends to bother me, especially on the lowest level...

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about this compared to a 47s MiNi CR2, I know they have different sizes but which wins in quality and longevity?

The E15 just looks / feels more reliable to me.....Don't have either in hand. Would go for the Fenix. Not that the mini isn't a great light...