Need help deciding what battery to use to charge

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Oops, I meant that I have a PDA (Garmin iQue) which has built in LiIon battery. THe external charger is powered by 4 AA's. Sorry for the confusion.

I wanted to know whether Alkalines would give a more complete charge or NiMH?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither should give a sub standard charge when fresh.

Most likely the NiMH will outperform in terms of number of full charges (alkalines are down to the same voltage as NiMH with half their total capacity still left and continue to drop). They're also cheaper in the long run and impact landfills less.

FWIW, you should probably already be using them?

Doug Owen

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's slightly off topic, but I have a charger that is made specifically for recharging alkalines. It does AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V batteries.

It seems to work quite well -- I get several uses out of a battery. It really does bring the cost down.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Re: Need help deciding what battery to use to char

Seems like an odd question. The cradle has a built in charger. An auto kit is available that runs off 12 V. And a travel kit is also available that runs off AC. I must assume this is a third party charger. If you're going to use NiMh to charge the 3600, what are you going to use to charge the NiMh? Maybe for emergency this charger and 1.5 V lithium (for long term storage). If you're trying to extend the run time in the "wild" then NiMh or a 12 V solar panel.

And now a plug for my cousin's book:
dales_book_promo.jpg

A GPS User Manual:
Working With Garmin Receivers
by Dale DePriest