Best built keychain light in the world?

I am pretty happy with my Fenix E01. It's not super bright and the anodizing isn't very durable but I've carried one for years and it's still working well. Due to the low output a battery even lasts for a couple years given the way I use it. But I'm curious what else is out there. Granted this will be somewhat subjective but what do you think is the best small/keychain light available? By 'best' I'm referring to build quality and durability primarily, with color temp and beam quality second and lumens/candela last. For the purposes of my question I'll impose an upper size limit of accommodating one AAA cell, or of course it could run smaller batteries. I'm thinking of a light that's small enough to go on a key fob without being to heavy to hand on the ignition switch.

I'm eager to hear any suggestions, especially for lesser known lights that maybe run on lesser used cells. For example it seems like you could have a pretty small yet pretty bright light based on a 2L76 or DL1/3N.

Prepped

Enlightened
I have a DQG Fairy on my keychain, although I'm not sure it would hold up to the usage that you are demanding of it. It's not exactly built for ruggedness.
I've heard good things about the MBI HF, although they can be very hard to come by these days because of such a huge demand for them. Thrunite seem to be up and coming and a lot of guys rave about them. The Ti3 and simply ti (titanium version) seem to be good options that are extensively reviewed and have good outputs, and seem to be rugged. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer, but I love my DQG Fairy!

Best of luck mate.

djj

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a stainless steel Peak Eiger (AAA) with a Nichia 219 on my keychain for a while now. Super rugged, excellent beam, and plenty enough bright. With a lithium ion battery it would be brighter, but I run a primary so I can just leave it in there without worrying about it.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried a stainless steel Peak Eiger (AAA) with a Nichia 219 on my keychain for a while now. Super rugged, excellent beam, and plenty enough bright. With a lithium ion battery it would be brighter, but I run a primary so I can just leave it in there without worrying about it.

Based on all that I have read Peak. They are hard to get ahold of though.

I highly recommend either OVEREADY or EM-MGT both have excellent customer service & sell PEAK.

The gentleman that runs EM-MGT is an absolute flashaholic, he answers phone / email pretty much anytime. Very enthusiastic guy, fun to deal with.

OVEREADY is well.....OVEREADY, Everything they do seems to be exceptional. Dan & company are very fast with email and are great to deal with as well.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I have carried a Peak SS Eiger #8 (single output) on my keychain for about 3 years now. Fully potted, guaranteed for life, it's the Elzetta of keychain lights.

thedodgedud

Newly Enlightened
I carry a 4sevens preon revo on my keychain, not too big, but plenty of light and throw. Amazes me of the output it gives off for such a small light.

Erik1213

Enlightened
The best keychain light I have ever used, surprisingly, is an Inova XS.

I have killed ITp A3s, Olight i3s, Thrunite TI's and others. The Inova is the only one that I haven't killed.

I like that the first mode is high. I like the tint. I like the lifetime warranty that I haven't had to use!

The only thing I really don't like is the threads are very thin.

EV_007

Enlightened
Prometheus Beta-QRv2 Copper 1 x AAA Nichia 219 High CRI Lumen LED Flashlight is the best one as of late for me.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
If brightness isn't that important I would say the McGizmo Sapphire ticks your boxes.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say go check out some other AAA lights.....and then realize you already have the best in the E01. :twothumbs I've tried other lights and they pretty much all let me down in one way or another. The only other one I've kept is the Ti3. E01 is just so cheap and so damn reliable. Love it.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
My standard keychain light for two years has been the Velano Quantum DD2, with a spare 10180 battery. It has never failed me, not once. I have added the Olight i7r to the keychain and so far it had held up well-only problem is that the magnetic connection has seperated Twice(in one year). Since I keep the light set to high and it turns on when seperated from the fob, it was easy to find the second time. The first time, it was in my pocket. Boy does it get hot!
Then I added the DQG Spy titanium( mainly so I have two lights that take the 10180 format). I will report back on that and the CooYoo Quantum I just ordered from Gear Best.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Another vote for the Veleno Quantum D2 here. I had one on my key chain for about a year and now wear it on my neck.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....By 'best' I'm referring to build quality and durability primarily, with color temp and beam quality second and lumens/candela last....

There are more complex, sophisticated, and/or elegant keyring lights (such as LF2XT, Univex, MBI HF, Tain, etc), certainly, but for pure toughness it is difficult to surpass the Peak Eiger in 10180 / 10280 / 10440 stainless steel.

I have used one of these daily for several years ... [emoji106]

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Preon ReVo SS... think mines ~5 yrs on my key chain. Just bought a NW back-up. Easy to run on AA, C and D cells too.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll be hard pressed to find a more robust keychain light than a stainless steel Peak Eiger. 10180, 10250, or AAA sized battery tubes, potted electronics! robust attachment point, twisty so no switch to fail.

Imon

Enlightened
I currently have a 4Sevens Atom A0 (modded with a 219) as my keychain light.

It used to be a Peak Eiger with a 10180 body but QTC pills are hard to control in a small light like that and it eventually pooped out (QTC durability is a concern some people have). I can only use my Eiger at full brightness now which basically means about a 10 minute battery life. To make matters worse I've been having some trouble finding a replacement QTC pill ... maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

I'm satisfied enough with the A0. I have lots of AAA eneloops I don't use often. Plus the length of the A0 is essentially the same as the 10180 Eiger thanks to the no-reflector design and I think it's even a little lighter.

Awesome stuff everyone! I had to Google most of these as I've never heard of them but I bookmarked a bunch. The Peak Eiger and the Beta-QR both look promising, as do several more but I'll have to read up on the rest.