Nextorch TA10 (XP-L V5, 1x AA/14500/CR123A/16340, 560 lumens) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
2h2ff4g.jpg

2naqpgn.jpg

The TA10 is universal EDC flashlight. It's 'universal' since it works on multiple battery sizes and types. The TA10 will run on 1x AA, 14500, CR123A or RCR123 battery. It features one of Cree's latest leds, the XP-L V5.
This light also has the Nextorch patented 'Duo Switch' on and off switch, which in one switch enables the "tactical on" and switching between high and low modes.
At the head, there is a hardened steel strike bezel, which can be used in various ways.

The packaging:

The TA10 comes in a nice retail packaging, with specifications and information.

Inside the packaging, you'll find: The TA10, a manual, registration card, small catalog, lanyard and two spare o-rings.

The pocket-clip is already attached to the light.

9b9hmr.jpg
2duz4o9.jpg

xf2qzd.jpg
118od4k.jpg

The TA10 has won the Gold Award, at the Asia Outdoor Industry Award 2015 :)

2mw9k0i.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Nextorch)
• Led:CREE® XP-L V5 LED
• Modes:560lm/215lm/30lm/Strobe/S.O.S
• Runtime:50min/1h45min/8h30min
• Battery:compatible AA/CR123A/14500/16340 batteries
• Distance:170m /557.7'
• Material:Aerospace grade aluminum 6061-T6
• Finish:Mil-Spec Type III hard anodized
• Length:122mm(Length) x22mm(Body) x29.2mm(Head)
• Weight:89g/3.14oz(without battery)
• Switch:DUO SWICH

MSRP: US$ 65

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

wvcug3.jpg
24n4kkw.jpg

6jgknm.jpg
ioglr6.jpg

166k5e9.jpg
kexkxv.jpg

The TA10 doesn't have any traditional knurling. Instead of, it has rugged ridges with also prevents the light from rolling around on a flat surface. The pocket-clip is stiff on my sample,
and almost impossible to use. The clip holds on so tightly, I'm not able to remove the clip. The bezel will protrude light when head-standing. The tailcap has cut-outs for a lanyard attachment.

2qv8oj5.jpg
6e10tk.jpg

The laser engraving has been done nicely, although it does look a bit pale. Battery indication on the side shows the user, how to correctly insert the battery.
The steel bezel looks to be removable, but it fitted tightly. There is a anti reflective coating on the glass lens. The TA10 uses a smooth reflector, to give the light some extra throw.
No reflector flaws can be found on my sample. At the bottom of the reflector sits a perfectly centered led. :thumbsup:

30uphdh.jpg
28vvsk6.jpg

ayp0lu.jpg
2utth5z.jpg

The clicky-switch has a good response and doesn't travel too far. The switch is easy accessible with my thumb.

214oak5.jpg

The TA10 only opens-up at the tail. The threads are traditional trapezoidal cut and anodized for lock-out. My sample came with very little lube on the threads. Twisting the tailcap required quite some force.
There are springs at both sides of the light, which helps with shock absorption. This is also which lets the TA10 use different size batteries. It light has a noticeable lower max output when using an AA 1.2/1.5V battery. This
is due the lower voltage that battery has compared with the 3V CR123 or 3.7V 14500/RCR123 battery.

2i7mv47.jpg
11l795j.jpg

67nnfs.jpg
5mfma9.jpg

User Interface:

From Off, half press for momentary On. Click the switch fully to turn the light On. The TA10 always turns On in High.
From On, half press to cycle between the modes (High > Med > Low). Half press for 2 seconds, and the light goes into SOS mode. Half press again to exit.
Strobe is accessible from Off. Half press twice quickly and hold to enter Strobe. Click fully to select Strobe mode continuously. Half press or a full click to exit.

Size comparison:

2elsf45.jpg

(From L to R: Duracell CR123, ZL SC32w, ZL SC5, Klarus P1C, HDS EDC Rotary, TA10)

Indoor Beamshots/ Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, F/5.6, 1/100 sec - Canon 500D - Light approx 30cm/ camera 1m in front of wall. Duracell CR123 used.

14m3vhw.jpg
4lkk7t.jpg
x2pftv.jpg

ISO400, F/5.6, 2 sec. - Path about 50 meters deep. - SC5 on Eneloop Pro, TA10 and P1C on CR123.

505wdu.jpg
16a2txt.jpg

2rbz9lx.jpg
10puivn.jpg

14409358511273071.gif

Conclusion:

The TA10 lets you use different batteries, which can be handing in some situations. Specially as EDC-light, the support of AA batteries is important. You do lose a bit of output, but at least you've light.
Built quality is solid and have no doubt it will last a long time, even after hard use. UI is simple and output modes are spaced nicely. A moonlight mode would be nice to have, on such a light.
Although it's a small sized light, it does throw good. Difficult to photograph, but it will light-up a clear path in front of you. It has a nice transition from hotspot to spill.
Nextorch does have to take another look at the used clip. It's held on so tightly, than removing it is almost impossible. Overall, I'm very pleased with this light :)

TA10 was supplied by Nextorch for review.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Reserved for updates..

Update 1: The TA10 uses a electronic switch and does have an anti reflective coating on the lens.

Update 2: During use in heavy rain, I noticed that it looks like the TA10, uses PWM in the Low mode.

Update 3: Short UI video added.

Last edited:

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
That Duo Switch looks pretty cool - I hadn't seen that before. It looks like you get momentary as with a forward clicky (but without changing modes I'm assuming from multiple activations) and mode changing from on like with a reverse clicky. Is it an electronic switch, or just some fancy hardware switch? I'd love to see a video of it in action, because I'm not sure I understand it. :)

kj2

Flashaholic
That Duo Switch looks pretty cool - I hadn't seen that before. It looks like you get momentary as with a forward clicky (but without changing modes I'm assuming from multiple activations) and mode changing from on like with a reverse clicky. Is it an electronic switch, or just some fancy hardware switch? I'd love to see a video of it in action, because I'm not sure I understand it. :)

As far I can tell, it's a hardware switch.
Can do a video, showing how it switches modes.
The Fenix TK09 works the same. From Off you've momentary with a half press, Full click to turn On. Then half press to cycle between output modes.

Edit: Nextorch confirmed it uses a electronic switch.

Last edited:

Alex W

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the review!:thumbsup:
and how's the led? cool white or natural?

ven

Flashaholic
Looks a nice light and thanks as always for your great reviews. My problem is the price at around $65 which pretty much puts it in competition with well known brands like fenix to name one...........

To me it seems over priced..........could be way off the mark of course;)

kj2

Flashaholic
thanks for the review!:thumbsup:
and how's the led? cool white or natural?
Sample tested is cool white. AFAIK, there isn't a neutral white version.

This is programmable with the Nextorch software, yes?
No. Would be cool though :)

Looks a nice light and thanks as always for your great reviews. My problem is the price at around $65 which pretty much puts it in competition with well known brands like fenix to name one...........

To me it seems over priced..........could be way off the mark of course;)
Wouldn't say it's over-priced, but it is steep.

ven

Flashaholic
The HDS I spot, any chance of a review on that at some point :)
apologies for off topic.

kj2

Flashaholic
Made a short video. Hope it makes it a bit more clearer :)

Alex W

Newly Enlightened
happy to see the video:thumbsup:.yeah, you do make it clearer:thanks:

ycwflash10

Newly Enlightened
As far I can tell, it's a hardware switch.
Can do a video, showing how it switches modes.
The Fenix TK09 works the same. From Off you've momentary with a half press, Full click to turn On. Then half press to cycle between output modes.

Edit: Nextorch confirmed it uses a electronic switch.

it claims as 'patented duo switch", might got something different from the fenix?
wonder if the ta10 can also use the aaa? since the multi battery design, it would be great if it can also run aaa.
nice reviews.

kj2

Flashaholic
it claims as 'patented duo switch", might got something different from the fenix?
wonder if the ta10 can also use the aaa? since the multi battery design, it would be great if it can also run aaa.
nice reviews.

Although the manual doesn't say so, it can run on AAA, but you've have to line-up it up good, so there is a good connection. When I tried an AAA battery, it was stuck when I unscrewed the tailcap, and flew out shortly after, so be carefull ;)

ycwflash10

Newly Enlightened
Although the manual doesn't say so, it can run on AAA, but you've have to line-up it up good, so there is a good connection. When I tried an AAA battery, it was stuck when I unscrewed the tailcap, and flew out shortly after, so be carefull ;)

:clap:thanks.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Would a AAA->AA adaptor work without fouling on the springs that the light uses to achieve AA / CR123A compatibility?

Latest posts