**Is the Inova X5T bright enough?**

nonbox

Banned
Is the Inova X5T bright? I've read that the throw is not so good. I would like a medium throw at least or is it only good for close up work? But it does have a 20 hr run time. I'm not worried about the batteries it needs; CR123s are not a problem when you buy in bulk on the net.

Should I just buy the Pelican M6 led instead?

I would love to hear from Inova X5T owners.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5t does exactly what its supposed to do, i.e. floodlight. I find that its definitely bright enough for close to medium range work, and is an excellent camping light. For throw, it is sufficient for tasks like lighting up your path while walking/hiking at night, etc. And yes, the 20 hrs runtime is a huge plus... Love every bit of mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Pelican M6 LED is an unfair comparison as it made for more throw in mind. It uses a reflector as well, so you will definitely get more throw compared to the X5t. How far the throw is, you'll have to ask someone else who has one...

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a Streamlight Twin Task 2L Light?
I don't have a Inova X5T, but I bet someone here has both a TT-2L and X5T.

The TT-2L has a xenon mode wich is pretty bright, and a LED mode which is enough to find your way down the trail. It offers a lot of light for the money, and they can be found for about $25.00.
I have about decided that the TT-2L is the closest to ideal for the hunter and fisherman who might want to go somewhere before daylight or stay till after dark. The LED takes care of that well. If a long throw is needed then the xenon mode is available.

Jerry

Jerry

nonbox

Banned
I have a SF E2 so when I need throw I'll use it instead of the X5T but I would like enough throw to use it for hiking.

I've used a pika 3 led headlamp and it was way too weak so I am wondering it the 5 led X5T will be good for walking the dog at night.

Does the X5T have a blue tint?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
The X5 is a nice light. It's certainly a well built light. Mine has a very white beam ( I got lucky ). The 20 hr run time is not realistic...it isn't regulated so it dims steadily over that time. The X5 is too big for the output you get. The beam is very useful out to about 20 feet. Mine sits on the shelf more than any other light I have. I'd rather use a smaller light that I can run on rechargables and get similar or better output...like a Micro Illuminator, Dorcy 3led AA ( almost as bright as the X5 for less that half the price. Maybe Inova will put a luxeon in it soon. Get an Arc Lsh on sale instead.

LightScene

Enlightened
The Inova X5T generates about 15 lumens (or less), and the M6 generates 41 lumens. They are definitely not in the same class, although they use the same batteries and are about the same size.

I struggled with the same question. Is the X5T bright enough? I decided the answer is no. It seems to me that 5mm leds are basically obsolete for flashlight purposes. It'll just take a little time before they are replaced by Luxeons.

Some of the guys in this forum have installed Luxeons in Mag Solitaires, so the 5mm leds have no advantages - IMHO.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a matter of fact, my X5t is the whitest of all the led lights I own. I've seen green, violet and bluish tints, but I must've gotten lucky and this is definitely the whitest I own. It depends on your luck sometimes, really.

I don't have a TT, but I'd think that comparing the 2 lights together, the X5t wins hands down in the 'cool factor'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sounds like you got it made, nonbox. However, if I may, can I suggest a UKE 2L for a throw light, as I find that the runtime is very useful if you're out hiking as compared to the E2e. It may not be as bright in comparison to the E2e, but its mighty bright for its purpose and not to forget that its waterproof and virtually indestructable too!

gadgetboy

Newly Enlightened
The X5T is one of my favorite lights. It's super tough, waterproof and doesn't have any sharp stuff to snag on anything. And they can be had for such a reasonable price right now that they make super daypack lights, or even an EDC. I have the L4's, the LS's and such but the cost ratio on the Inova makes me happy every time I pick it up.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my X5T and comparing with my TT-3C my x3 Led's from the 3C put's out more light than the x5 Led's in the X5T and the X5T is 6v compared to the 4.5v in the 3C, go figure. The X5T must be underdriven? The X5T does a fair job on lighting a room or use to negotiate a trail through the woods which I use it for. Of the two I mentioned if my very survival depended on a particular light then I would definitley go with the X5T, it is built to be virtually indestructible.

I got the X5T to be able to squeeze every bit of juice out of the lithiums I began to collect from my lithium lights i.e. Scorpion & TL-3 Xenon.

soloco

Enlightened
I think the X5 is a badass little light. For everyday lighting purposes while working or at home it fits the bill; and is plenty bright. I would never go out for a walk with it, but I grab something big and obnoxious for that anyway. For sitting in my pocket or on my else, I'll settle for nothing else.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
ha. i had nonbox in mind when i posted that..
but it has the same output as the Blaster 2 with shorter runtime.
so you would luv it too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

nonbox

Banned
LightScene, you said the Inova X5T puts out 15 lumes. So it is as bright as a Surefire E1E?

Why hasn't Inova put a luxeon in it yet? But will a luxeon powered Inova get the long run time of 5 regular leds?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Innova X5T is not running at 15 lumens. It is way too much dimmer than my E1e + KL1 combo which is running at 16 lumens. The Innova is nearer 8 to 10 lumens but it is still a good light when camping and hiking because of the long run time. I usually use the Innova for walking long distance and when I needed throw the SF M2 or G2Z is what I rely on. I had the Innova before I bought the E1e and KL1. After the purchase of E1e + KL1, I retired the Innova for good. Lately I have no choice but to use the X5T again because I just lost the E1e+KL1. My E2e is my current EDC light but I find it too bright at times. I would prefer to have the KL1 fixed on it but there isn't any stock in Singapore. I was the guy who bought the last KL1 here in Singapore and it is made with the new scalloped bezel.

Andy Ho

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the X5T is a great light. The LEDs are overdriven and the stainless steel that the LEDs are mounted in, is a heatsink.

I would recommend this light for all CR123A based collections. Hey, if you are going with only 123 based lights, you do need something with long runtime, and this fits the bill.

Of course, this all depends on what you mean by 'medium' range. Without a solid definition, short, medium, long, and super long ranges are subjective terms.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
pjandyho,
I have a E1e wine light, that I bought because it is cute. I have considered getting a KL1 module for it, and the E2e I also have.

I have a Streamlight TL-2LED and a PM6 LED on order.

The reason I have not bought the KL1 is because the cost is as much as the complete lights I bought.

What is your overall assessment of the KL1? I am wondering if it would be very useful to me in light of the other lights I own. I think the small size of the E1/KL1 combination might be useful due to size.
Is the combination as bright as the E1 incandescent?

What do you think? Anybody else is welcome to comment.

Thanks,
Jerry

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
When I bought the Inova X5T, I was told it completely kicks the crap through a Mag 4D.... I quickly realised that the guy at the store is full of sh... lies.

I barely remember how bright the X5t really is because I never use full batteries in it anymore. I use it to completely deplete the 123 lithiums that don't work in my SF G2 w/P61.

Went walking the other night and being the annoying lithium batteries, my G2 was working fine one moment, dead the next. No worries, switch the batteries into my X5t and I've got enough light to walk around without walking into things.

Jeff

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a person won't put up with to get the last bit of energy from his batteries. I think evryone here is crazy except me. And sometimes I doubt me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Jerry