My hobbies climbing and flashlights combined!

D6859

Enlightened
The nights are getting darker but the weather still allows me to continue my climbing (bouldering) hobby. Tonight I decided to combine bouldering with my flashlight hobby. There's a nice boulder with one ascented route near to our summer house and I had my best flashlights with me:

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

To be honest, the positions are a little staged as I didn't have my crashpad with me, nor balls to climb the whole route without a person to spot me. My intention was mainly to test the lights.

The flashlights used in the photos were (from right to left):
- Armytek Wizard Pro v1.5 (CW) behind my back on high mode
- Eagtac GX25A3 (NW) with an Olight M22 diffuser on a piece of aluminum foil on a rock behind my back in the middle on high mode
- Olight M22 with a piece of aluminum foil to create wall bounce on my left hand side on high mode
These were also involved in the process:
- Thrunite TN12 (CW) during the approach
- Armytek Predator Pro v2.5 (NW) during the approach
- Armytek Tiara A1 Pro v1 (CW) during the setup
- Olight i2 during the setup

Notes:
- I was surprised how bright the lights are. The boulder is white(ish) in daylight but I wouldn't have believed it would seem like the film burned through in the pictures. (Worry not, no actual film was harmed in the process!). I think I should have changed the settings in my mobile phone's camera
- I need a better camera for the next photo session. The camera in my phone really seems to suck in any lightning dimmer than cloudless daylight
- I didn't find any of the lights too hot to touch when moving or turning them on/off. The longest period they were on continuously was about 5 minutes long. I think TN12 became warmest when my girlfriend used it on high (800 lm) while walking to the boulder
- GX25A3 lost some of its firepower while we took the pictures. I think this is due to depletion of NiMH batteries. Other lights seemed to have their high mode untouched. I didn't notice any of the lights suddenly step down
- Using the aluminum foil to bounce the light seems to loose the greenish tint of M22
- Speaking of tint, I found the tint in my GX25A3 (NW with the diffuser) most pleasurable for my eye in the nature. M22 and TN12 seem too green, Predator too purple/brown and Wizard & Tiara too blue or just colourless(?)
- The beam in Predator is too narrow for walking through the forest. Due to tunnel vision I almost missed a small branch that was going into my eye. I found combination of headlamp and flashlight best while walking back.

Have a nice weekend!

ven

Flashaholic
Cool pics and info:),thanks for sharing................would not like that on my toe !!!

Stuck between a rock and a hard place........sorry:eek:

Looks a tough climb! So do you go looking for large boulders to climb as a challenge?

D6859

Enlightened
Cool pics and info:),thanks for sharing................would not like that on my toe !!!

Stuck between a rock and a hard place........sorry:eek:

Looks a tough climb! So do you go looking for large boulders to climb as a challenge?

Thanks! I sometimes go looking for new boulders, but before you can climb a route the moss on the rock should be brushed and it's not legal without the permission from the landowner. The route on this boulder isn't so hard, but I had no protection of any kind (crashpad or the spotter) and the land slants steeply so it would have been too risky to try to climb further. I have video shot in daylight that proves it's possible though!

ven

Flashaholic
:cool:

Here is a little cheating, man made :laughing: you have put it in my head now to try at night with flashlights!

Chilling out at the top

Weather permitting,me and Callum should be heading out with some lights tomorrow evening, will give it a go as he wanted to climb it last week at night!

:)

D6859

Enlightened
Nice! Please post pics. And be careful, I know you have so many flaslights all that we would see was white if you turned them all on :D I had only three on and it seems it was more than enough

ven

Flashaholic
If we make it i will do( i seem to like pics:eek:) for me they say a 1000 words:)

:laughing: Callum does not do too bad either,he must have 15+ and usually takes 4 or 5 with him(like a mini me and has a little OCD like me too,has to have them all set up in his draw neat and in line :laughing: )

Yes, not sure on what light/s yet,the tn36vn or mm15vn would be ideal candidates for flood,maybe the mm15vn with the 5000k mtg2 tint on a lower output.

The pd35vnQ would also make a good candidate with the small wall of light................decisions decisions :laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
Me and Callum nipped out for a bit of flashlight fun and climbing,weather was fine although not completely dark. Callum took a skyray king 3x xm-l and a zoomy,i took my triple quad x40vn (12x xp-l's 5700k)and pd35vn quad (2x 5000k and 2x6500k xp-l's)

2nd from highest mode (high)which on the standard pd35 would be around 400lm

Maybe 70ft to the tree

pd35vn quad on turbo

Bit misty from the lake and with no slow shutter speed and auto balance its hard to catch

x40vnTQ

No light

Cranked up a but on the x40vn

Callum with his gopajti impression

Does not show it very well,but it illuminated the park up for callum to play

Good fun,next time we will take different lights again:)

ven

Flashaholic
Cheers, yes he loves his lights and already asking to go out again..............will do for me:thumbsup: