Armytek V2 Wizard thoughts/review- short

mickb

Enlightened
Very short review as a total newb. First foray into any lamp more lumens than a 2009 era P.7 Led lenser. Works as advertised but does not suit my purposes.
Wanted it for long duration use night trekking, metal detecting on beaches at night, and short range hunting.
No technical issues, just did not find the 35 lumens useful for moving across difficult ground, too dim, and the 200 lumens sucked power faster than I wanted in as single night. As such did not feel like I had a really useful whole night torch. A middle setting like on the Pro version would have been better.
Also my expectations of '1000'+ lumens were a little high, was expecting to have a ships spotlight on my head to light up feeders and stand area 40-45 yards apart. Will obviously need hand held flood for that.
The 35 lumens was the only real disspointment, the light power was just my inexperience. Armytek obviously has a fine product that appeals to the right people.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review - thoughts on the Wizard.
Sometimes you just need to try something to see if it will work for you and your needs.
My guess is you need a headlamp with more of a spot beam or ' throw '.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
Yes that is a surprisingly big gap between 35 lumen to 200. Have you considered the zebralight H600 mkII, the cool white version has 12, 32, 70, 160, 350, 660, 1090 lumens option and I'm leaving out the lower levels because they wont apply to your particular uses that you mentioned. With the clear glass and reflector the throw is pretty decent on the h600. They have a floody version too that probably is close to what the armytek beam is. I was almost set to buy an armytek wizard or wizard pro, but when I compared the levels to the Zebralight it became obvious that the zebralight levels were more useful to my needs. I use the neutral white version which has a bit less output, and I mostly use the 65 lumen (30hrs) and 150 lumens (11hrs) modes. I always carry a hand torch too with my headlamps though I rarely use it. Before I bought the zebralights i was using a Gloworm X2 light on a headband and it is pretty nice with dual emitters and more output than the zebralight, but it required an external battery pack and wire and I grew tired of the wiring and pack and just wanted a simple all in one headlamp. The Zebralight was a worthy upgrade to the gloworm x2 light mostly because it is self contained and has useful brightness setting and I prefer the neutral tint. Anyway the zebralight might be worth a look to you.

mickb

Enlightened
yes still learning. A throwy headlight might be a better idea then. The Zebra H600 looks interesting. The only thing is the level of complexity vs durability which is why I didn't get the wizard pro. I am in the Aussie tropics where if there is a chance of something moulding, corroding or fogging it it is more likely to happen. Not that it limits choices, more just a preference for durability where possible.Not expecting a HDS level item but are the zebralights in this series generally considered dependable performers for the money?

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralights are considered durable. Probably not as durable as an Armytek. I haven't put either my H600 or Wizard to the test.
I do have a Spark headlamp I use at work. It falls off my head and lands on concrete from 6 ft about once a week. Very shock resistant.
I think the advantage for you would be a spot beam because you can run it at lower lumen outputs with the concentrated beam and get longer run times.
If you want flood, put some frosted clear tape over the lense. That's what I do with my H600

AussieRanga

Enlightened
Go for the Zebralight mate. I'm from Brisbane and take it underground (really old drains, caves) where it can get a bit steamy - no issues at all..

I work on construction sites as an electrician and the H600's (I'm carrying the Mk2 at the moment, my original one served easily twice as many hours before retiring) I have never let me down. I have lost count of the amount of hits to scaffolding and other solid objects they have taken while in my pocket.

I was about to pre-order the new Mk3 they're that good! (Flood only for now - my favourite for work purposes - you'll want the clear lens Mk2 version)

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks guys I am seriously considering one. Aussieranga is there anyone retailing them here?