Can a flashlight be too small & short?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering the Olight S1 but couldn't see how I would easily carry or use it. I have average-sized hands but the S1 seems too small to grasp and operate comfortably. My usual small light is the D25A which I can easily hold and operate and disappears in pockets. Does anyone else find the single cell CR123A lights less practical than single AA lights?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES. I used to love small lights. Now I can't stand them. I need 1 hand operation and I got big mitts. YMMV.

You know what they say about guys with big hands?

Big feet.

You do know what they say with about guys with big feet right?

Big socks.

uofaengr

Enlightened
For me personally they'd probably be too short. The SC52w is almost too short for me and it's a single AA. The lanyard I have on mine falls into my ring and pinky fingers when I hold it and essentially gives me a 4 finger grip and is helpful. The SC32 which is a single CR123 seems like it'd be too short to have a confident grip. The SC62w feels better in hand with its slightly longer grip resting in my palm.

For me, a length of 3.7-3.8" is the sweet spot and are the approximate respective lengths of the L11C and SC62w, 2 of my favorite EDCs. Not too long and not too short, but the shortest length for me that allows a secure and comfortable 4 finger grip with either a tail clicky or side switch.

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't have a ton of experience with every size light, but for me:

Too short: M43
Too long: M3X-UT
Nice EDC, but don't wan't any smaller: SC5, SC52, L10
Nice general use light: PD35, T25C2

The only other time a smaller light is OK would be a keychain light. But it's not something I want to use on a regular basis. I agree the SC32 may be too small for me.

Last edited:

GearHunter

Enlightened
I was considering the Olight S1 but couldn't see how I would easily carry or use it. I have average-sized hands but the S1 seems too small to grasp and operate comfortably. My usual small light is the D25A which I can easily hold and operate and disappears in pockets. Does anyone else find the single cell CR123A lights less practical than single AA lights?
Just the opposite....went from a t10s to an HDS. I'm a full sized boy and the HDS with its slightly larger diameter even though just a bit shorter is perfect.

onthebeam

Enlightened

I have both of these. Subjective of course but I prefer a small light in pocket and don't use clips. The D25a is not nearly as comfortable in pocket but in my opinion has a classy and easy to use interface. The S1 is very comfortable to hold with the side clicky. The interface is slower but has mode memory if you always want it to come on at a certain setting.

If you like magnets that's another nice bonus for S1 yet my D25a has a glow switch so it can be found fast in the dark. The S1 switch isn't fast to feel in darkness but I'm getting used to it.

Nice to have both. I'm used to Orb Raw as my former EDC so both of these are large to me!

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
If a flashlight is regularly used for work or leisure, then IMHO it should be of a reasonable size to carry and operate with one hand, and also be big enough to find among keys, small tools and other items in the same pocket. A very small light is not easily found, perhaps many times a day, nor are most sorts easy to operate with one hand.
2AA is my preference, others no doubt have differing preferences.

If however the light is primarily for emergency or standby use, perhaps in case of loss or failure of your main EDC light. then smaller is arguably better in order to reduce bulk and weight to be carried and seldom used. Easy location and operation being less important.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally a subjective question. Kinda like what tint is too cool question.

For me: I find single AA or AAA is the perfect size for my less than manly hands. :wave: While I wave 4 fingers and a fully opposable thumb your way!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
For myself, in warm weather no.
When it's minus 35 Celsius or worse, my fingers lose a lot of dexterity and I can appreciate a larger, warmer light.☺

Otherwise if I can't see it, I may not feel it in my own yard.
Yay Northern living!!!

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the v11r in the 123 size is great for disappearing in my pocket but too small in hand. With the AA extender it's a much more comfortable size to hold.

That being said, my zl h51w -being that it's an angled light, I find it to be a comfortable size.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
To me, the most comfortable lights to hold and use are 1xAA with a tail cap clicky switch, and are long enough to fill my fist, -- e.g., Fenix LD10, L3 L10C, and (not counting the switch itself) Xeno E03.

As much as I otherwise appreciate their design, I have been afraid to buy a Zebralight SC32 due to the short length, and the same fears came up when considering the new Olight S1 recently. I find the S10 Baton (and S15 in single-cell config) feels less-than-secure in my hand due to the side switch, and the way they are consequently held. They just aren't long enough to engage enough fingers. However, with the extension tube in place, the S15 feels very secure and comfortable... because there's something substantial to hold onto.

Of course, smaller means more comfortable to carry, and I think lights with a tail-mounted clicky switch can be a bit shorter and still work out OK.
I have just started carrying a D25C Ti, and though it's *almost* too short by my reckoning, it's still reasonably secure and comfortable in a three-fingered grip. I am still getting used to it, but I'm starting to think that the D25C is a good compromise between carrying comfort and using comfort.

Echoing what some others have said, in the winter I like a 2xAA with a forward clicky, which I find works well when wearing gloves.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought this from one of our outstanding members. Thrunite t10t xpl with a heat treated finish. For me, it's just the right size to hold and edc.
0bd7a0cf84781707d8c16b6cf777a439.jpg

sandalian

Enlightened
I like small flashlights because they're easier to carry.
To deal with its size, I attached a paracord lanyard for extra grip.

quark123-in-hand.jpg

and FYI, Olight S1 Baton's size is almost identical to Quark Mini 123 shown above.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I like small flashlights because they're easier to carry.
To deal with its size, I attached a paracord lanyard for extra grip.

quark123-in-hand.jpg

and FYI, Olight S1 Baton's size is almost identical to Quark Mini 123 shown above.

Glad you showed this pic. I was about to put in a plug for my foursevens mini mlr2 in cr2 size. I only wish it had a lower low or would be my edc. Coming from years of using the classy orb raw (describing the torch not its designer) it's a great size with a superb design. About 2 1/8 inches long or 53mm.

Good points from those needing a longer light for cold weather.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Too small depends on the person and the situation.

Say you're climbing Mt Everest with your 300 gram thinsulate gloves on..that vs walking the dog on a summer night.

Me personally hasn't found a flashlight yet that I can use with thick gloves on.

But for EDC about 4.5 to 6" long with a good shaped grip surface and tail cap switch. Fits in the pocket of nearly any trousers yet has enough mass to notice when it's missing. In regards to girth, the single AA size barrel is not as easy to hang onto as the say, C/D size. I find the 123 size a good happy medium there.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too small depends on the person and the situation.

Pretty well sums it up.
I find myself frequently using a tactical, overhand grip and the D25A is large enough to allow tail switch control. I have difficulty quickly locating side switches when removing small lights from pockets.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too Small? Too Short? That's not possible!

I like it when the light is smaller than the battery, such as the Pak-Lite. It's light enough that you shouldn't have to fully grip it. Thumb and forefinger is just fine.

Anyone know of any other lights that basically just clip on the battery? I will buy them!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot of things affect "grippability". I have the following 4 1xCR123a lights: SF E1W ("Winelight"), SF E1L "lego", SF E1B "lego", "modded" Fenix L2D. The winelight just is too small to hold in my hand securely, though I will consider carrying it in a suit jacket pocket for formal dress occasions. Both the E1L and E1B legos, with the combination of a knurled body and "flared" tailcap (Z68 on the E1L, E2DL tailcap on the E1B) make them much more comfortable to use. The smooth Fenix P2D was ridiculously difficult to hold on to until I covered it with o-rings, and it is now one of my favorite EDC lights. I also have a FiveMega 1x18350 body with an E-series head, and the slightly larger diameter and knurling make it, for me, much more practical than the E1E Winelight.