Infinity modification

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to know if anyone else has done this modification to an Infinity.

When I got my first Infinity almost a year ago, I scraped the black paint off the inside of the head assembly, around the LED, being careful not to scratch the diode. The result (after scraping and polishing with scotchbright) was a slightly brighter (at least more visible) light. Looking at it from a distance compared to a non-modified Infinity, the dot of light is much larger.

I mentioned this to CMG at the time, along with the suggestion of potting the pcb (which they did) but they did not seem interested in polishing the head "reflector". It is a minor improvement but one that I think it worthwhile.

Scott

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me to, mine started flacking off so I helped it along. And believe it or not I used toothpaste (not sure which brand) and toothpicks to finish the job also. Still have a little bit of paint I could not get off. I don`t have a drummel tool
frown.gif
I think it is a little brighter, also run a lithium batt. Still not as bright as a photon but I love it.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-04-2001 at 07:47 PM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yep , did mine about 6 months ago . I polished the reflector with CREST toothpaste
and a felt pad on a dremel tool . Also ,
unintentionally sharpened the LED , the beam
was not sharper but was somewhat brighter .

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Toothpaste? Interesting. I will have to try that. I just used an xacto knife to get the paint off and polished with 3M ScotchBright. How shiney is the surface using toothpaste?

I too have been running the Energizer lithium batteries in many of my toys with great sucess for a few years now. I have asked Everready about making a similar battery in AAA size but they said they have no current plans. What a bummer.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The 'white' tooth pastes are about 1600 grit
abrasive and work really good on metal , also
cost $15 a tube less than 'superfine polish'
sold at hobby stores . The GEL toothpaste
does not work for me , also the MINTY TASTE
may cause your dog to EAT your light .

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy, you really resurrected this post. I didn't modify the circuit, but I did rip it out all together, and stick 2 CR2 photo batteries into it. This required widening the barrel a little bit for the batteries to fit. I also stripped all the paint off and gave it a brushhed aluminum effect with sandpaper. I haven't noticed any oxidation on the aluminum since I did this (about 2 or 3 months ago I think).

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
Boy, you really resurrected this post. I didn't modify the circuit, but I did rip it out all together, and stick 2 CR2 photo batteries into it. This required widening the barrel a little bit for the batteries to fit. I also stripped all the paint off and gave it a brushhed aluminum effect with sandpaper. I haven't noticed any oxidation on the aluminum since I did this (about 2 or 3 months ago I think).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How was Infinity's performance after that mod??

Ant

Newly Enlightened
a Jan posting ,,, 'Marked' it will take you a long time to read all the posting if you start that far back.

welcome to the forum , and leave now while you still can ,,,,,

Ant

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marked:
Any one try moding the ciruit to make it brighter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think it would be as simple as changing the value of a probable surface mount resistor if one could get at the innards. Upon initial examination it looks fairly solidly sealed though.

Marked

Enlightened
It does look well made and solid but any thing can be open.
Just it working after opening it is the question.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
How was Infinity's performance after that mod??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

videocal: It's brighter than the photon II, and lasts a lot longer. Problem is the batteries cost $10, and nobody that I know of makes CR2 rechargebles. I've been pushing for an LED light like the Infinity that uses a single 123. I think such LED lights would make for a great combination with Surefires.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
You know, elsewhere in this forum rechargeable CR2s,(or was it123's)? -from the U.K.-costing $60.U.S.-(with the charger) were mentioned, but I can't remember where the thread was..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read the post a while back, they were Quest batteries, and they were 123s and 2CR5s. I'm sure CR2s will come along soon enough. I thought about making a stubby Infinity running on one CR5 (these are just longer CR2s) but the machining required turned me off to the idea. If only I had a %#*(&*% lathe.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy Guyer:
videocal: It's brighter than the photon II, and lasts a lot longer. Problem is the batteries cost $10, and nobody that I know of makes CR2 rechargebles. I've been pushing for an LED light like the Infinity that uses a single 123. I think such LED lights would make for a great combination with Surefires.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a good mod-think I'll do one...
You know, elsewhere in this forum rechargeable CR2s,(or was it123's)? -from the U.K.-costing $60.U.S.-(with the charger) were mentioned, but I can't remember where the thread was..

Guy,

What diameter are you looking for? Maybe you could use a ream instead.

They're available in many sizes at tool supply stores.

Just a thought.