Headlamp for kayaking at night

Marsel

Newly Enlightened
I'm a photographer and I have a number of Zebralights that I use for night photography, mainly because of the quality of the flood light.

In a few weeks I'll be going on a trip where I will be doing a lot of night photography in areas where I can only get to with a kayak. This means that I have to paddle for up to an hour in total darkness, trying to find my way in what's literally a swamp maze.

What I'm looking for is a powerful headlamp with a lot of throw, ideally working on AA's (because I have a lot of those that I use for other lights, radios, triggers, etc.), and preferably with a high CRI and a neutral to warm white tint (so that I could potentially use the light to light paint distant objects).

There are obviously many contenders, but it's a bit overwhelming.

I was looking at the H600Fc, but it's basically pure flood so my guess is that it's not going to shine very far. Also, I noticed that some of my warm Zebralights actually have a bit of a green tint to them, which I don't really like.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

desmobob

Enlightened
If you like Zebralight headlamps, the H600w MkII might fill the bill pretty well (other than running on an 18650 vs. the AA you mentioned as ideal). It has good throw, great adjustability and long battery life.

The Armytek Wizard has less throw, but a VERY robust build and higher level of water resistance. It would be my choice for kayaking. Armytek's Tiara A1 offers the same robust build and water resistance, and uses the AA battery you prefer. I'd pick the warm versions of these lights for use on the water.

Take it easy,
Bob

D6859

Enlightened
How about combination of headlamp and a throwier flashlight? Tie the flashlight around your neck so that it won't fall into the water accidentally.

I have both Wizard and Tiara A1 and I really like them both :)

ahorton

Enlightened
I don't normally jump in and advertise my own products, but it does seem like you're describing my headlights. (powerful, Long throw beam, High CRI flood beam, submersible, AA cells)

The lights I make are called 'Spikelights' and you can find them through Google. It has two beams and each are very customisable; you can choose your LED and optics.

In your case I'd suggest using a really nice Neutral Nichia flood LED for your photography.
As for throw, I usually use one of my (ahorton) aspheres to give much more throw than you normally get out of a headlamp.

markr6

Flashaholic
If you like Zebralight headlamps, the H600w MkII might fill the bill pretty well (other than running on an 18650 vs. the AA you mentioned as ideal). It has good throw, great adjustability and long battery life.

That's what I use. I do a lot of night kayaking and it's perfect, but I never use it for light painting/photography. I'm sure it would be good for that too but only if you get a good tint. Mine is pretty neutral. You could get unlucky and end up with a greenish/yellowish, tint though. Won't know for sure until you try.

Marsel

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure it would be good for that too but only if you get a good tint. Mine is pretty neutral. You could get unlucky and end up with a greenish/yellowish, tint though. Won't know for sure until you try.

Thank you. Do you mean that there is some variety in the tint of the same lamp? I like a warm tint without any green. Any idea what lamp has the nicest warm tint?

Marsel

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Bob. Does the Armytek Wizard Pro V2 XM-L2 use the exact same light as the latest Zebralight H600Fc III? I was attracted to the Zebralight because of the 4000K light it uses. The Zebra is backordered and I need two lamps by the end of the month, so I'm looking for an alternative.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thank you. Do you mean that there is some variety in the tint of the same lamp? I like a warm tint without any green. Any idea what lamp has the nicest warm tint?

If you want warm, the H600Fc sound like a winner. But unfortunately like you said they are on backorder. I think the standard H600w is a nice temp around 4400K. But just like most other manufacturers they can vary (yellow, green, perfect neutral white)

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2015 Petzl MYO seems pretty powerful with spot or flood. It also uses 3 AAs. Using 3 primary lithium Energizers should be lightweight and offer good runtime.