I've killed every twisty keychain light I've ever owned, help

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I love the form factor of the tiny AAA x 1 keychain lights, but I have killed every single one I've ever owned. Arc AAA, Thrunite Ti2 and TiS, and a pair of CMG Infinty's. All dead, and most pretty quickly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I change the batteries, don't leave them on for extended periods, don't over tighten the heads etc.

Now, I really miss having a little light but I hate the thought of dumping another $20-60 on something that'll die in a month. What is the most reliable AAA x 1 keychain light? Fourseven's Atom? Peak Eiger? Another Arc? I don't need a huge output. Maybe a <10 lumen low and a 30 or more high?

Last edited:

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
It is not 1 x AAA but my NightCore Tube has proven to be pretty tough overall.
45 lm for an hour and for $10 you cannot do wrong imho.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I've had a fenix e05 on my keys for over a year and it's still going strong. Never had any issues at all and it gets used alot.

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I have had several Fenix twisties and never had one go bad.I ride them hard and put them up wet.:twothumbs

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA clicky then? Some of us like one-handed operation. (although some twisty flashlights can be activated with one hand)

The low setting on the NiteCore Tube sounds kind of bright, but it is a very floody beam, hence quite low light for somewhat dark adapted eyes. The high setting is a substantially bright, broad beam for such a little torch. It also charges with micro USB. Reliability may be a question for you, if you are really hard/unlucky with lights.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you may need to clean some threads? Also, over tightening can dent terminals on batteries.

Check out:
Maratac AAA
Dark Sucks Beta

BarryG

Enlightened
Try cleaning the contacts and threads. My IlluminaTi died, or so I thought. Cleaned everything a couple of times and still working!

Barry

P.S. Have you killed an E01 yet? They can live through anything!

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I would say Peak, but what on earth are you doing that the Arc couldn't take ... :thinking:

Here's some extensive real world testing ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/397487

Great link, thanks!

The Arc lasted longest. Here's what I wrote at the time. I was told it was common, and that I need to roll crimp the head or something. I ended up losing the light during some moving I did afterwards so I never got a chance to fix it.

"Lights been working great, except my AAA Arc. I love the little thing (call me a dork, but it's got a little clip that fits right on my belt; how cool is that!) but it gradually been dying. It started as an occasional failure to turn on when I screwed the head down. I'd unscrew it, then retighten it and it'd work. Slowly it got more and more troublesome until now it almost never turns on. Any ideas what's wrong?"

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started reading through this thread, thinking about what to post as an alternative to what you've killed. I'm with Archimedes. Try Peak in stainless steel. Maybe even an old Matterhorn. Or go simple and get a Fenix E01.
Please don't kill another Arc.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I've had a Peak Eiger SS Lug #8 on my keychain for almost four years and it's held up great. It's a single level ( I'd guess about 60 lumens) and very floody, but perfect as my backup EDC. I use an Eneloop Pro in it. It's fully potted, so you'd have to use a sledgehammer to kill it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I carried an Eiger SS 10180 on a keyring for years as well ... eventually got a couple scratches on the bezel maybe, but no issues [emoji106]

Balog

Newly Enlightened
To be clear none of the failures have been catastrophic. It's always just the heads getting more and more flaky and not turning on.

Looking at the Peak Eigers, what is this Quantum Tunneling stuff about? Sounds snake oily but they're well regarded.

BarryG

Enlightened
Don't forget to clean the contact points like the bottom of the driver.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, clean with a good quality rag that won't leave lint or tear off and get on threads. I have used window cleaner with great success. I also use a old tooth brush, or wife's current tooth brush. :) A tooth pic works really well to get heavy gunk off first. Also wipe the threads & contact on the head. Then I come back an apply a small amount of Dielectric Grease aka Nyogel. If your heads get loose, you can use a slightly thicker Oring, or try a heavier grease.

I have probably 60 or 70 twisty lights. Some have been on keychains for years. Once they start to blink or act funny changing modes and so on, it is almost always dirty threads. Once in a while if you drop or bang your keys around, you can dent the battery. Over tightening can do this too. If cleaning the head still doesn't fix it, you may want to remove the spring located inside the light by the tail end and clean it. This too can get dirty on some lights and cause contact issues.

FYI: Just make sure you never ever use a graphite based lubricant. I saw someone do that before cause threads were loose. Graphite works for door locks, Not electronics.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are killing these lights so quickly I would re-visit the twisting force you think you are using. I think it is likely that you are using too much force or tightening down the head too much.