Have you ever bought a flashlight that ended up as a dud?

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
:confused:

I mean, you spent perfectly hard earned good money for it and it was a name brand, but the operating procedure was not very user friendly? :mad: ... or the light modes were too close together? :sigh: ... or it was too spotty or floody? :ohgeez: ... or the tint was way out of wack? :green:... or it just didn't work right? :xyxgun:

I have a few that will probably end up as dust collectors ...... :sick:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my light purchases have been satisfying and without unpleasant surprises, but there were a couple of exceptions.

My Fenix LD01 stainless steel has an ugly greenish tint and requires too much torque for single handed operation. I carry it only as a backup light.

Didn't like the UI on the LRI Proton Pro 1AAA flashlight. The beam was too yellow and full of artifacts so I gave it away to a non-flashaholic.

MrJino

Enlightened
I do a maelstrom light that died from being dropped at about 3 or 4 feet. Worthless now. I used it about 10 times.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
LED Lenser L7 has lots of artifacts and rings, each ring a different tint. I keep it only in case I need to lend a flashlight to someone I wouldn't trust with one of my good ones.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably only have 1/3 of the lights ever purchased. 2/3's were sold. I never keep anything I don't like or isn't any better than what I already have.

Xiphex

Newly Enlightened
I didn't like those AAA 12 / 16 LED in one flash-lights. each led fainted one by one or in pairs. ALAS, I found CREE!

mildlyangryjohnny

Newly Enlightened
Itp a1 eos. Great little light...for about 1 month. Also, got these solar charging flashlights 10 years ago or so. In principle seemed like a novel idea--leave them in the van to charge during the day and use when pulling tools from the van during commercial site jobs at night. Just never earned their keep. Junky light, junky power.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
A browning flashlight, 200 lumens, great throw, 2 AA. In fact the throw was so good that it was outperforming incandescent spotlights that plugged into ATVs for midnight rabbit hunting...
The low in practice is not very low and features very slow PWM not to mention having to cycle through strobe. The battery life was poor, maybe 1 hour before getting very dim (ANSI runtimes down to 10% brightness) and I had no spares on that trip.

I gave it to my dad when I got a Coast PX45 I paid about ~$20 for them at the local sporting goods store.
When I get another dedicated thrower I would probably use 1 x 18650 or better for long runtime on high.
It is still on browning's website: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/flashlights/detail.asp?fid=029H&cid=371&tid=3310
For that price I cannot recommend.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore D20 was my first "high end" flashlight and the first and last Nitecore I've owned. The D20 was the 2xAA version of the highly popular D10, but the piston switch system was sticky and unreliable, it required small tools to disassemble the light for cleaning and lubrication, and it had this nasty habit of spontaneously switching itself on high as I carried it around, and half the time I didn't even notice until it got hot enough to burn my leg. Just a terrible experience all around, which is why I've never owned another Nitecore.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do a maelstrom light that died from being dropped at about 3 or 4 feet. Worthless now. I used it about 10 times.
That's a 4sevens light, right? Did you ever take advantage of their 10-year warranty? 4sevens has outstanding customer service and would have certainly put things right.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Bought a Jetbeam Jet3M about six years ago. Fine flashlight, it lived in my left slash pocket for the last six years. I finally decided to replace it.

I bought the new upgrade -- the Jet-3 Pro.

It works. It does everything it's supposed to do, but something about it absolutely rubs me the wrong way. I'm looking for something else so I can chuck this thing in a drawer.

Not duds as such, but I don't keep lights I end up not liking preferring to gift or sell them. I guess several cheap lights could be considered duds but nothing I paid more than say $20 for.

tillylamp

Newly Enlightened
I have killed many lead acid incandescent flashlights. some broke the glass when they were dropped, some developed a short after changing a bulb and burned out switches, some developed a short in the battery and burned out all my chargers, it is a comedy of errors.