Can I super mod a meek Docy into a flamethrower

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
This forum has made me totally unsatisfied with affordable, run-of-the-mill flashlights. I may not be an esteemed flashaholic, but I'm twisted enough to feel those junkie cravings on the rise.

So the issue is:I have a Dorcy LED that seems to be a high-quality body and rather than get rid of it and its weak pinpoint beam, I'd like to beef it up. What's the best way to mod it so that the little sucker will shoot flames (figuratively).

The body looks like a converted 2D model, that has a 4AA pack jammed inside, using only half the available space. The LED bulb has no markings, but looks like a regular flashlight bulb (Mag style) It screws into what appears to be a beefy aluminum heat sink.

I'd like to modifiy it to be a much better light and to help me learn more about LED flashlights. I'd appreciate any advice I can get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Josey

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey, the dirty little secret around here is that no matter how satisfied you are with your latest light, there are evil people working behind the scenes to deprive you of your satisfaction tomorrow. Run away while you still can.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Doug: My biggest mistake was buying an Arc LSH-P. Wow, what a nice light. Then, with my lovely Arc still warm from the Fed Ex truck, you dirty dogs immediately told me that I needed the Arc4. So much for my plans to retire early.

Wildcat

Enlightened
Yes, and stay FAR away from Mr. Bulk. He is an evil man that has the ability to drain your wallet of everything inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kiddin......about the evil part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

danielo_d

Enlightened
Well, one simple [?] mod you can do is swap out the LED and slap in a Luxeon. Without any electronics [converter/regulation], you might want to put in a resistor. The resistance would depend on the Vf rating and such. Definitely use the beefy heatsink. From what I hear, Luxeon emitters can get hot and cause problems.

[I have yet to do any LS mods, but have plans to do so in the near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif]

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.

Danno

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome josie.

Any number of cells can be used id you use an electronic converter.

you can also make or maybe buy two 3xaa holders and direct drive a 5w luxeon, maybe with some resistance if the heatsinking is not very good.