Which RCR123 / 16340 ?

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I just bought 2 Olight S1 Batons. One for me and one for my father as a christmas present.

Which RCR123 / 16340 's would you recommend me?

Greets
Pascal

adnj

Enlightened
I don't believe that the light has low voltage protection so protected batteries should probably be used. Some may not fit (too long) so hopefully someone with the actual light can chime in.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use red AW IMR 16340s in my pocket rockets and just check voltages after use. I use black AW ICR protected 16340s in a couple of other small pocket lights, just because I bought them first as a noob.

Chris

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
But just because you bought them when you were a noob, doesnt mean they are bad or? Or are you referring to the fact that they are protected? 😁

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
But just because you bought them when you were a noob, doesnt mean they are bad or? Or are you referring to the fact that they are protected? 

No, I'm referring to protected cells, but it's good practice for new people to default to protected cells, even in single cell lights if they're not going to be anal about learning how a cell behaves in a particular light and on various output levels and checking voltages often.

I like the IMR chemistry, since it can handle a bit more current as found in some of these brighter lipstick lights, like my SWM V11R and ET D25C Ti. clicky. My SWM M11R and Shiningbeam I-Mini don't pull enough current to warrant the IMRs, although they'd work well.

I'm on 3.5 years on my original AW ICRs and IMRs, although they're a bit tired.

I was a maniac with my smaller lights early on, so I probably abused them more than I do with my current crop.

Chris

akhyar

Enlightened
I'm using AW Protected 16340 in my S1. The cell is already about 3 years old but still maintain the capacity when running the charge-discharge test on my Opus BT C3100.
I've tried my Keeppower protected in my S1 too. While it works well, it's a bit long over the AW or primary CR123 (by 1-2mm) and a bit finicky to screw the tail cap.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There really isn't a GREAT 16340 out there. But I have had good luck with the red Efests. They provide plenty of current. They hold their voltage well. And they are pretty true as far as their capacity (550mAH). Tests by Lygte also suggest that it may be a better battery than the AW. They are not protected, though. So they may not be the best choice for a noob when used in an unprotected light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I think Ill go with the protected AW's then. Too bad they're out of stock on NKON.

http://eu.nkon.nl/review/product/list/id/624/ What do you guys think about these? Good price!

The problem with decent 16340s isn't how they're going to perform over the first 20 cycles, as most of them will do well. The problem is in how long will they last you?

Some of the crappier ones don't last but a year with moderate use and some a lot less IME. If replacing a $4-$7 cell every six months to a year is fine, then buy any of them, as they'll work well for at least a little while.

My older AWs still pump out some lumens when other brands are in my recycle bag.

Chris

akhyar

Enlightened
My older AWs still pump out some lumens when other brands are in my recycle bag.

Chris

+1 Chris
My 3-year old AW Protected cells still maintain their capacity while my newer 16340 from Soshine and Olight are heading nearer to the recycle bag.
No idea what cells Andrew Wan uses in his 16340

facepalm69

Newly Enlightened
Alright thanks, Ill go for the AW then. Might buy them at a german store then. More expensive but overseas will take too long and NKON hasnt got them in stock right now.

Greets
Pascal

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright thanks, Ill go for the AW then. Might buy them at a german store then. More expensive but overseas will take too long and NKON hasnt got them in stock right now.

Greets
Pascal

Andrew Wan, AW, is a long time member of this forum and always quite the gentleman and quite helpful over in our Marketplace.

We all of these Ecig guys opening up online, like RTD Vapor, it's just easier for me to go with them and pay a few pennies more, than to do an order with AW over in Hong Kong.

Chris

Yep - go with AW. I just needed two more and got more AW even though there are more around now and many of the new brands are are cheaper.