SureFire G2x Pro vs Streamlight Polytac 275

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Once upon a time there was a thread that spoke of the virtues of the 275 lumen Streamlight Polytac.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ug-Out-Bag-Hag-Streamlight-Polytac-275-Lumens
^^ it also mentions another one as well.

But this is about the Polytac programmed to hi/lo vs the non programable G2x Pro.
To start with the bug out thread mentioned PWM as horrible in the Streamlight. Normally that doesn't bother this user. However when I used the polytac on low to take photos I thought I was watching an old 15fps 8mm movie. If pwm bugs ya, the polytac excels there...as in really good at being annoying.
There was none noticed in the Sure Fire.
Winner; Sure Fire

The beam tint of the polytac is a bright white with a hint of neutral
The G2x is a nice creamy tint.
Winner; Sure Fire

Switch of the polytac is easier to activate than the G2x.
Winner;
Streamlight

Weight isn't an issue with either but if grams matter the Streamlight is lighter.

In the middle finger balance test the Streamlight is balanced close to center and the SureFire is front heavy. So in drop situations the SureFire head lands first. But from 3' not face down or anything.

Time to switch modes is in my opinion better with the SureFire in nervous situations or getting familiar. You have 2 seconds to change settings but will change as fast as you can click.
The Streamlight UI requires an old codger like me to hurry up or I keep getting low. In a rush where hesitation can take place the SureFire wins.

Elzetta/SureFire lanyard ring work with both.

The Streamlight switch will turn on the G2x, but the G2x will not turn on the polytac.

We all know the head is glued on the G2x, where the polytac is removable.

G2x can be locked out. Not so with the polytac. Long term storage warrants removing batteries to stop parasitic draw.

Polytac comes with a serial number. G2x does not.

The ten tap on the polytac is cool due to being able to obtain strobe if wanted or hi only.
But this user prefers the low setting first simply because that takes care of most of my light needs with lumens to spare.

Later I'll discuss the virtues of these lights on low.
It's later:
So at 2am the polytac low beam exudes for confidence at finding what goes bump in the night while preserving battery life. And in close quarters combat would be a more effective blinder in a big room. The G2x shows it's mellow beam as a warm, diffused beam, which is great for thwarting bumping into furniture while better preserving night vision all the while, like a mag solitaire does not wake you up like a cooler beam.

For self defense I'd prefer the Polytac.
For round the house, the G2x gets the nod.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
How about those beam shots?
For this I put an S in the left corner for the polytac and a 2 for the G2x.

For kix n giggles a couple of pix from a Malkoffed G2 are included. An M61NL.

^^ L to R
Polytac w/elzetta lanyard ring and 99¢ lanyard
G2x Pro, tail cap drilled for 99¢ lanyard
G2 with elzetta ring, $1.99 lanyard and SolarForce head

Wall shot from 10-12'

Polytac, note slight rings

G2x has a more mellow blend

Speaking of nice blend. Malkoff! Yay!!

Some throw pix

Note the flashback from 80' on the polytac

The blend of the G2x shows here

Throw vs spill is nice with the polytac at 100'

But again the blend pays off

M61 is a great beam, plain n simple

Frankly the throw is amazing with the polytac

G2x a little less but still respectable

Overall if I had known of the Polytac when buying the G2x lights in multiples of 2, I would've probably bought a couple of polytacs too. But for now I have 1. If only either could Malkoff'd....

Last edited: