Married batteries for EC4S?

DavidbivaD

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, brand new newbie here!

I've looked up stuff on married batteries, and how important it is when using two rechargeables like the 18650s that they be married to each other.

Is that also the case for the EC4S?
I'm not exactly sure about the whole parallel vs series deal, which I believe parallel is supposed to be ok even if unmarried but series is definitely not ok?
Would the EC4S batteries be in parallel or series and does that even matter?

I've tried searching up some threads here on this light, but couldn't find an answer.
Please help out a newbie! :thinking::thinking: :grin2:

I have one olight 18650 that I currently use for a zebralight, but if I do end up getting the EC4S, would I need to buy a brand new set of 18650s or could i just get one other Olight 18650 and use it with what I currently have?

Thanks in advance for any help everyone!
And HI!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello!

Can you get away with just buying another 18650 to use in your EC4S? Maybe, but why take a chance. You will most likely want to have the option of using either light at any time anyways. Using different aged batteries from different production batches might result in one battery discharging to such a degree that there is a reverse charge situation; not good. Others can explain it better. Try not to deplete your batteries too far anyway. Some of us recharge before reaching 3.5 Volts, and I periodically compare voltages with the pair of batteries to help ensure a balanced set. Consider marking pairs of batteries. Most of us have spare sets so that we will hopefully always have illumination capability.

markr6

Flashaholic
I say just get a new set. I'm using protected cells, which I would never buy, but they came with the light as a package deal. But a good unprotected set will only set you about about $10 depending on where you buy...and what you buy.

I don't think the EC4S requires high drain cells, so the good old NCR18650B from fasttech (button tops) are an option for $10 and some change.

If you do want to use protected cells, fasttech has them for only $1 or so more than the unprotected.

Just some ideas there.

DavidbivaD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys!
Interesting info about the cheaper batteries. I just assumed I need to get good, protected cells like from Olight or Nitecore cuz.. well there's a lot of talk about how dangerous batteries can be and that was all very scary lol.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info guys!
Interesting info about the cheaper batteries. I just assumed I need to get good, protected cells like from Olight or Nitecore cuz.. well there's a lot of talk about how dangerous batteries can be and that was all very scary lol.

Nothing wrong with paying more for protected batteries. But there's really no reason to pay the $18 for one!

Protected vs. unprotected is just a personal choice.