Help with Fenix PD35 Tac 2015 & Battery

CS90

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I'm new here, so pardon my posting the wrong way or in the wrong place...

For a variety of reasons, including potential LEO work in 2016, and the recommendations of this forum, I bought a PD35 Tac 2015 from Fenix (direct from Fenix) and two EAG TAC 3400mAh protected 18650 batteries (so I can charge one and use the other).

The light is very bright, feels good in the hand, etc. I like the tactical mode better than the outdoor mode; though I have no need for the strobe yet, I find it faster to get to the Eco brightness than by using outdoor.

Anyway, the problem...There are some instances in which I hit the button and nothing happens, and other instances in which I hit it and there's some dimness. More often than not, a good whack fixes the problem. To me, that sounds like a battery length/contact issue, or perhaps I have a faulty PD35 TAC (like the switching system is messed up). But yet, if i take the rear cap off, the battery sticks out of the butt of the flashlight quite a bit, indicating that the springs SHOULD be in full reach of the battery.

I'm open to any ideas/advice/tips on the matter. Battery was I believe purchased from Amazon through one of the links shown here as safe http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYLA5UU/?tag=cpf0b6-20 , charger was also from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW2ZDHQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20. Flashlight again direct from Fenix.

Side note: My father wants a flashlight for Christmas. I'd love to recommend PD35 TAC and get him one, but I want to resolve my own issues before getting one for him, as he has no time to deal with a flickering flashlight or to argue with Fenix and Amazon, like I do. :laughing:

1DaveN

Enlightened
I'm working from my PD35 non-TAC, so hopefully it's the same. When you remove the rear cap, look inside and you'll see two round indentations or holes on either side of the spring. Using a pair of needle-nose pliers (or any other tool that works for you), see if you can tighten the switch using those holes. If that doesn't work, I'd call Fenix Store on the phone and ask them - their customer service is excellent, and if they can't talk you through fixing it, they're the US warranty facility.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Try a different pair of 18650 batteries, preferably those from Olight or Keeppower. If that doesn't work, try the advice from 1DaveN. If it still doesn't resolve the problem, call Fenix Store and they will sort you out.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just wanna' mention
that my Fenix PD35 Tactical is Very Happy
using Orbtronic 3400 protected batteries !

Amazing Flashlight !

:twothumbs

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
First-take some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip and clean all the contact points. Second-as mentioned above make sure the tail ring is tight using the suggested method. Your issue sounds like a combination of both loose tail ring and dirty contact points. If all that fails THEN contact CS...the other cell I would recommend would be either Orbtronic or Keeppower 3500mah 10 amp cells. They sell quick. I just bought a couple dozen. They have low internal resistance and next to no voltage sag under high output. Thus you get all what the light is capable of and the cell barely breaks a sweat. First thing I do whenever I get a new light is take it apart and clean the contact points, check for good lube on the O rings, have a good charger double check the tightness of the tail ring.

My TAC functions flawlessly. Fenix will take care of you should all that fail.