Have I Got A Fake LED Lenser M1

Witterings

Enlightened
My M1 arrived today, initially it wouldn't switch on at all, end cap on, off, on, off and the eventually it did work until I took the end cap off and went through the exact same 5x's process as before until it came on again.

Then it dims to 1/100th the amount of light it should be in all 3 modes .....same sequence as before (wiped the wire on the end cap and where the end cap screws into the torch) and all of a sudden worked a treat again.
This was fine for quite a few on and offs, the all of a sudden back to virtually no light at all, remove and refit end caps again and it's back to normal until next time I switch it on, dim, repeat previous process and again back to normal again.

This aside as trivial as it may be but the yellow safety sticker is only half stuck on / peeling up at one corner (was like it out of the box) and when the zoom is extended out the zoom part of the torch is quite "wobbly" especially if you compare it to my T7.2 ..... REALLY interested to hear if other M1 owners zooms feel the same when extended for narrow focus????

What do people reckon are the chances I've got a fake or is it just the Friday afternoon jobbie but when you're paying £40 for a torch you really don't expect as their quality control should be far higher!!!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest pictures. Also where was it purchased from? This may help other owners in the ID process.

Just off the cuff, it could be a authentic, but returned item they sent you. It almost sounds like the threads need a good cleaning? Of course, it could be a fake. Good luck.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Took me 3 tries to get a genuine P7.

Now the fakes are pretty good. They work as well as the the real thing, but things like the yellow sticker and battery holder were the give aways.
The 2nd one was correct except for the +/- symbols in the battery holder.

Heck the first knock off came in nicer packaging than the real one!

The give away was the price. So I contacted the seller and advised them they were selling knockoffs (in case they didn't know). They assured me they were genuine items, then commenced to raising the prices to match what authorized dealers charged...that's when I turned them in to both Amazon and LED Lenser.

Another incident was Coast lights. I was buying old stock HP 7's not knowing they were stolen...that is until US postal confiscated a shipment in Oregon. I spoke with an Inspector General who advised me the name of 3 different companies selling fake or stolen lights. I'd bought Coast products from all 3!!! (Didn't tell her that.)

Google fake LED Lenser M1 and you may find somebody showing real vs fake.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
As you mentioned £ I presume uk and maybe off eBay which have fakes in abundance . Go to the seller, click on his ID and look into his actual location as many hide behind London to be actually in China !!! Also check for previous shops which is also showed in the info . It's amazing how many have changed names every few months!!! Because they have been found out and opened up (fake) shop again!! They even copy the newer .2 versions now, well they have done after about 3 months of the .2 version release!

There are authorised dealers on there, if in doubt contact ledco who have superb CS.

ven

Flashaholic
I cant link, but torchdirect has them for £40, these are approved re-sellers and can be verified by ledco(great to deal with)

Witterings

Enlightened
Having done a bit more research I don't think it is a fake, I think maybe I just got unlucky and that happens sometimes, my motto is it's not if there's a problem it's how it's dealt with and the seller has offered either straight exchange or refund and you can't do more than that.

I purposefully didn't name them at the beginning as I didn't want to point a finger at someone who may well have been totally genuine and which I now believe to be the case.

Only thing with it is though whatever the product, if I've had a bum one it's always put me off having a replacement as it makes me question their quality control and there's nothing to stop it happening again and it just leaves a slightly bad memory.

A shame because it is a good torch, although I'm not that keen on the wobbly zoom.

Cheers for everyone's input!!

ven

Flashaholic
All the same a quick call the ledco with the serial No on the side will tell you 100% for piece of mind. If you like the light, try another, i have only had 1 fail out of all mine and that involved a tiled floor drop onto the tail cap...........not many lights would win that one!

Glad it seems sorted anyway, try again imho:)