EagleTac D25C Clicky - Poor Quality!

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an EagleTac D25C Clicky from www.eagletac-usa.com and received it this week. Though I like the UI, form factor, and beam of the light, the quality of it is quite poor. The first thing that stood out to me were many pinpoint-sized spots in the anodized finish where the aluminum shown through, like it had been banged up, and also the silk-screened print of the flashlight looked to be of questionable quality. Then looking at the threads, I found them to be roughly cut with burs in the metal, and where the unfinished threads met the finished head, the line is jagged, either due to more burs or a poor finish. The visible side of the driver looks to be primitive in its construction, as if it were a DIY project. And when I went to remove the clip, I found that the screws were poorly made and poorly threaded; a M1.5 hex worked on one screw, but spun on the other screw, so I had to use a 1/16" hex - and this is with Wiha tools, some of the most precise tools made. And today I received an EagleTac battery I ordered from another dealer (EagleTac-USA were out of stock), and it just looked like a generic battery with an EagleTac stick slapped on crookedly. Overall, the EagleTac looks like a $5 cheap Chinese flashlight, not a $50 precision tool.

On the positive side, the holster and lanyard seemed to be of very high quality!

I'm new to flashlights, but the build quality of the EagleTac is quite poor compared to Fenix, NiteCore, Inova, or even ThorFire - and I had read many reports that EagleTac was supposed to be one of the higher quality flashlights. I started to wonder if it were a counterfeit since I noticed other things different about it: the box and flashlight are labeled "EAGTAC" instead of "EagleTac", the bezel doesn't appear to be titanium (nitride?) coated like in the pictures, the pocket clip is black unlike the silver one in the pictures, the box doesn't look like those I've seen pictured, etc. But I bought it from EagleTac's USA distributor, so I doubt they're selling knock-offs. And I did find some pictures online that matched the flashlight I had, though in most pictures the flashlight is labeled "EagleTac" and looks to be of much higher quality.

What are your thoughts? Is EAGTAC flashlights different than EagleTac? Has quality slipped? Do I just have a lemon?

I'm totally turned off by EagleTac and would never buy one of their products again. I'll probably return this one; hopefully I don't lose money in shipping.

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
I purchased an EagleTac D25C Clicky from www.eagletac-usa.com and received it this week. Though I like the UI, form factor, and beam of the light, the quality of it is quite poor. The first thing that stood out to me were many pinpoint-sized spots in the anodized finish where the aluminum shown through, like it had been banged up, and also the silk-screened print of the flashlight looked to be of questionable quality. Then looking at the threads, I found them to be roughly cut with burs in the metal, and where the unfinished threads met the finished head, the line is jagged, either due to more burs or a poor finish. The visible side of the driver looks to be primitive in its construction, as if it were a DIY project. And when I went to remove the clip, I found that the screws were poorly made and poorly threaded; a M1.5 hex worked on one screw, but spun on the other screw, so I had to use a 1/16" hex - and this is with Wiha tools, some of the most precise tools made. And today I received an EagleTac battery I ordered from another dealer (EagleTac-USA were out of stock), and it just looked like a generic battery with an EagleTac stick slapped on crookedly. Overall, the EagleTac looks like a $5 cheap Chinese flashlight, not a $50 precision tool.

On the positive side, the holster and lanyard seemed to be of very high quality!

I'm new to flashlights, but the build quality of the EagleTac is quite poor compared to Fenix, NiteCore, Inova, or even ThorFire - and I had read many reports that EagleTac was supposed to be one of the higher quality flashlights. I started to wonder if it were a counterfeit since I noticed other things different about it: the box and flashlight are labeled "EAGTAC" instead of "EagleTac", the bezel doesn't appear to be titanium (nitride?) coated like in the pictures, the pocket clip is black unlike the silver one in the pictures, the box doesn't look like those I've seen pictured, etc. But I bought it from EagleTac's USA distributor, so I doubt they're selling knock-offs. And I did find some pictures online that matched the flashlight I had, though in most pictures the flashlight is labeled "EagleTac" and looks to be of much higher quality.

What are your thoughts? Is EAGTAC flashlights different than EagleTac? Has quality slipped? Do I just have a lemon?

I'm totally turned off by EagleTac and would never buy one of their products again. I'll probably return this one; hopefully I don't lose money in shipping.

So sorry to learn your not happy. I've had many lights and my d25c titanium is one of my very best. Fantastic! Also have D25a. EAGTAC is correct.

I do notice a couple a minor machining marks but find their lights to be superior to most other brands. Both of mine have great beams.

ven

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear and yes defo send back, try a ti version as a last chance saloon before you give up on the brand from that bad experience. Imho they deserve another chance, the 2x d25c ti's have been excellent. Really nice edc lights..........

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a very similar experience with the D25a clicky model. It took me three lights to get one that was a decent quality. These Eagletac lights are extremely popular on these forums and a lot of people swear by their quality and durability. I however got a poor first impression of the brand and am wary to buy another model.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
My d25lc2 is flawless and has a very high class feel and finish. I think you got a lemon friend.

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
I had a very similar experience with the D25a clicky model. It took me three lights to get one that was a decent quality. These Eagletac lights are extremely popular on these forums and a lot of people swear by their quality and durability. I however got a poor first impression of the brand and am wary to buy another model.

I'm glad to hear you finally got a good one. Was the dealer accommodating with the multiple returns?

Captvideo

Newly Enlightened
I purchased recently a D25C Ti. The titanium looked great. Installed a new O Light 16340 battery. I carried it five times, using the light for maybe 5 minutes total. Then it got stuck on flash mode, and now won't turn on at all. Eagtac customer service suggests I clean contacts, test voltage of new battery that works fine in other lights, and take the tail cap apart. This is a new 70 dollar light. Or I can send it back to Hong Kong at my expense for repair. Mailing to HK with tracking is not cheap.
What's wrong with this picture?
I would say spotty QC results in overall Poor Quality. Value of "10 year performance warranty"? Worthless after considering you to pay for shipping to HK.

Last edited:

Captvideo

Newly Enlightened
In conclusion, I'm not wary of buying another Eagtac light. I simply will not buy another eagtac light.

Last edited:

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I'm surprised they didn't have you just return it to the dealer.

BTW, I've sent a copy of a slightly modified version of my original post to EagleTac and EagleTac-USA to get their opinion on if my flashlight is typical or is a 'lemon', and to comment on the differences between the pictures on their website and the actual flashlight.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your problem. I have two Eagletac D25A2s and had an SX25L2T. All of them have been top quality with no issues, in par with my Fenixs. I would definitely send it back for a refund and try a different one before you give up. I highly recommend IlluminationGear/com for ordering Eagletac products as they are very friendly and will do what they can to make you happy. I just got in my second D25A2 in this morning that they special ordered for me. No offense to EAGLETAC - USA as I have not done business with them but I have read several different posts about poor quality lights coming from them. I'm not sure why but they seem to have issues with shipping quality lights.

saypat

Enlightened
I also have heard/read bad things about Eagletac USA .... for what it's worth. I know of someone on here who had to go 'above' them to Corporate, and that got the ball rolling but quick!

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
Hmm. Maybe I will give EagleTac another try via IlluminationGear. I see they have a better selection that EagleTac-USA anyway.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Maybe I will give EagleTac another try via IlluminationGear. I see they have a better selection that EagleTac-USA anyway.
I hope ya do! Lebox97 on here is the rep for IlluminationGear if you have any questions. If you message him and ask there is an 8% CPF discount

recDNA

Flashaholic
Only 2 things bother me about D25C.

Threads get dirty (aluminum model) and light acts up in unpredictable ways so you must clean them regularly.

If you put a big 16340 in it is possible to partially crush it sending battery into thermal runaway. It happened to me once. I forget which battery but it was longer than most 16340.

I've never had a problem with the titanium version. I try to stick to AW batteries now to avoid problems.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
My d25lc2 is flawless and has a very high class feel and finish. I think you got a lemon friend.

Could be. I have two, a stock version and the rare 2A driver XP-G2 model of which only a few were made for illuminationgear.com and have never had any problems.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Illumination Gear, my personal favorite dealer. Also, for faulty lights, always try contacting the dealer first, the good ones will save your sanity from having to deal directly with the manufacturer and possibly having to send a light overseas for repairs by simply doing an exchange.

MarkF786

Newly Enlightened
If going with the Titanium model, would you recommend the CREE or Nichia LED? I'm interested in the Nichia, but it seems to lose a lot of lumens.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
If going with the Titanium model, would you recommend the CREE or Nichia LED? I'm interested in the Nichia, but it seems to lose a lot of lumens.
The Nichia will give you better color rendition than the XPL HI but at the cost of lumens and candela. It will be a warmer neutral tint. The XPL HI will give more lumens and more candela at the cost of less color rendition as it is cool white. For me I prefer a neutral tint with high color rendering.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone managed to set mode memory on with a D25C Ti? I have enabled moonlight, but no luck with mode memory -- it always starts at ML.