Is this a good idea? Do they have them already?

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
I hate wasting battery life. I don't know about you, but... for instance... If I have a CR123 light that say has a low lumen output of 20 and a high of 100, I replace the batteries (IE trash them) when the high lumen no longer works. Now, the batteries may run the low lumen for many hours still, but... I don't care. I want the full functionality of the light available at all times. Especially if I'm going to a new place, job site, vacation... whatever. I just want my light freshened up. This leaves me (and presumably all of us who don't use rechargeables...) with semi good batteries going to waste.

I have a bunch of those emergency candles in a drawer for power outs. Shouldn't there be a tiny lumen output light that would put out a similar amount of light as the candles so that these old batteries can be used up? Maybe it would take the top 3 most popular sizes of long shelf life batteries? Does this exist? I'd sure like a drawer full of them to shove the old batteries into to maybe take camping for little tent lights to read by or have around for power outs, etc.

Just an idear. Any thoughts/links appreciated. I hate waste and love my CR123 lights and the fact that I can store 10 spare batteries in my truck in a little water proof case that will last 10 years as opposed to the rechargeable solution.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around CPF they are referred to as "Vampire" lights or "joule thiefs". There are lights for most batteries that will use all the current in a battery.See below for a very dated thread
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...can-feed-your-quot-dead-quot-cells-to-listing.

Wayne makes Tank lights that work very well in several battery configurations
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=985

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_thiefYou can also build a circuit that will work!

Jeff

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please recycle lithium batteries and do no 'trash them', thank you! :caution:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I stick em in my bedside table drawer for my bedside Alpha. I keep a blinder next to the relegated to 2am nature call Alpha. It just got old carrying it in my pocket and it's too beat up to sell to get any real $ for it. So it replaces an LED Lenser tri beam from yesteryear...absolutely positively gives me a good 7 lumens when it counts.

AA's go in clocks or incan solitaires.

snurblet

Newly Enlightened
Shouldn't there be a tiny lumen output light that would put out a similar amount of light as the candles so that these old batteries can be used up?

Thanks for the idea. I have a PD22UE that I don't use (1xCR123), with a diffuser. One reason I don't use it is that it doesn't take long for the higher modes to become unusable as the voltage drops. Now it'll sit in the same drawer with my partially depleted 123s and wait for the next power outage.

If Fenix didn't hate tailstanding so much it would be perfect. :rolleyes:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the idea. I have a PD22UE that I don't use (1xCR123), with a diffuser. One reason I don't use it is that it doesn't take long for the higher modes to become unusable as the voltage drops. Now it'll sit in the same drawer with my partially depleted 123s and wait for the next power outage.

If Fenix didn't hate tailstanding so much it would be perfect. :rolleyes:
The new PD32 actually has tail standing abilities now!

As for something for the OP, look at the Fenix CL20 lantern

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your answers. And yes, I do recycle the batteries. :) (I just drop them at my local Walmart that has a recycle program.) I shouldn't have used the word "trash."

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate wasting battery life. I don't know about you, but... for instance... If I have a CR123 light that say has a low lumen output of 20 and a high of 100, I replace the batteries (IE trash them) when the high lumen no longer works. Now, the batteries may run the low lumen for many hours still, but... I don't care. I want the full functionality of the light available at all times. Especially if I'm going to a new place, job site, vacation... whatever. I just want my light freshened up. This leaves me (and presumably all of us who don't use rechargeables...) with semi good batteries going to waste.

I have a bunch of those emergency candles in a drawer for power outs. Shouldn't there be a tiny lumen output light that would put out a similar amount of light as the candles so that these old batteries can be used up? Maybe it would take the top 3 most popular sizes of long shelf life batteries? Does this exist? I'd sure like a drawer full of them to shove the old batteries into to maybe take camping for little tent lights to read by or have around for power outs, etc.

Just an idear. Any thoughts/links appreciated. I hate waste and love my CR123 lights and the fact that I can store 10 spare batteries in my truck in a little water proof case that will last 10 years as opposed to the rechargeable solution.

Just get yourself a good quality charger and some 16340's(3.7V RCR123 or 3.0V LiFePO4 depending on your voltage needs) and never look back man. Much better for the environment and your wallet in the long run. I still keep some CR123a primaries around for emergencies but, rarely ever use them.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thank you all for your answers. And yes, I do recycle the batteries. :) (I just drop them at my local Walmart that has a recycle program.) I shouldn't have used the word "trash."

And to think we thought you soaked them in fish oil then fed them to kittens right after tripping little old ladies trying to cross the street...

Good on ya bro!

theafterlife

Newly Enlightened
Around CPF they are referred to as "Vampire" lights or "joule thiefs". There are lights for most batteries that will use all the current in a battery.See below for a very dated thread
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...can-feed-your-quot-dead-quot-cells-to-listing.

Wayne makes Tank lights that work very well in several battery configurations
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=985

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_thiefYou can also build a circuit that will work!

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up Jeff!