Solarforce L2T help

Solodevice

Newly Enlightened
Heya fellas!

I got some questions about my first self build light.
I've check around but I'll be honest, my head is just not processing all the volts amps protect circuits and so on lol.

So heres what I'm wanting my light to do.
High lumen and throw
prefer a neutral maybe slightly cool beam
run off one 18650, I have keep power 3400ma cells

this light will be used in cold weather and for a max of about 2 min
so heat isn't much of a worry nor is run time.

My my question to you guys is where can I get a modded drop in capable of this?
do I need some type of larger head, like the m3 solarforce sells? I've upgraded my tail cap with a mcclicky, will that be sufficient to handle the higher output?

I have about $100 I'm willing to drop into this build and I'm sure I could just buy a whole new light for that... But I don't wanna :)

I appreciate the help in advance fellas!

ven

Flashaholic
Sportacs imo are great for the money, have the triples though so cant comment on the single ones. Either way nicely made!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
All good ones already mentioned, I will add:
Tana triple! With Dr. Jones, that is one bad dude.
Overready Torchlab V5 Triple (almost always out of stock) :(

After typing that, I found this, from yesterday! lol
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?415579-P60-Triple-Drop-ins

If you want longer run times, maybe look at a fivemega finned head or a Cryos Illumination head?

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
How many lumens and how far do you want to see? If you own a soldering iron, then you could make your own P60 module for minimal $$ and maximum satisfaction.

Get a P60 'shell' with smooth reflector, pick a neutral XP-G2 or even XP-L HI LED on a 16mm board, then add a 17mm diameter driver with the modes/currents you want. I would suggest around 2.2amps for the XP-G whereas you can get away with 3amps for the XP-L (with headroom to go higher, at the cost of heat). Wrap in copper tape or shim with strips cut from an aluminium drinks can to allow heat transfer to the outside of the light. All parts can be found on Fasttech, banggood, intl-outdoor etc.

Once you've done your first P60 module, you can go nuts with different LED's tint/CRI/colours/UV etcetc :crazy:

For direct purchase, in addition to the great suggestions above, have a look at intl-outdoor.com, you can pick and choose a couple of options. I would also suggest customlites but they seem to be out of action at the moment due to illness.

If the remainder of that $100 is still burning a hole in your wallet, have a look at the BLF X5/X6 lights on banggood. Got mine last week, with decent high-drain cells, these things are awesome- neutral LED, high output and fairly decent throw (and cool glowing tail-cap) :twothumbs