Arc4+ Nightstand Duty & Locator Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my Arc4+ on my nightstand overnight preset on dimmest mode for nocturnal walk-arounds and trips to the john. I found that like all such lights, my coordination/sight in total darkness leaves something to be desired, and that I would occasionally knock the light over, waking my spouse.

So, I enabled the locator feature of the Arc4+. But, it is too bright to have pointing anywhere up (again, in total darkness) as the flash is disturbing to us, and standing the light on it's head nullifies the locator feature. As a solution, I now have the light standing on it's head, but I'm using a Mag D lens I had lying around as a sort of coaster. The result is a nice, muted blink that is diffused along the circumference of the lens, just right to identify it's location but not disturb. My .02.

ViciousCycle74

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc4+ Nightstand Duty

Good idea, must say though that I would rather atatch a glow ring to the split ring on the tail section (the one that doesn't exsist quite yet)

georget98

Enlightened

Maybe we should start a "Cool Arc4 Tricks" thread. I like the lens idea because I have no idea otherwise what to do with my m@lite.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

would be nice if someone could come up with like a plastic ring or something to put around the head that will glow throught the night etc. That way you can remove it as needed. Like a "rubber band" or something.

That would be cool.

Dave Wright

Enlightened

Apologies for the picture already posted @ CPF.

fb94c4e9.jpg

This nightlight setup has been happily used on my nightstand since it was made some months ago. It, or a similar concept, could be applied to using the Arc4 as a nightlight. Pricey though, unless you can run on rechargeable 123s - a format that I understand to perform pretty sadly compared to the NiMH AAs I feed the Infinity and Arc AA I use to power my nightlight.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
ViciousCycle74 said:
Good idea, must say though that I would rather atatch a glow ring to the split ring on the tail section (the one that doesn't exsist quite yet)

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly agree. Since I don't want to use the pocketclip, I was thinking of putting tritium glow vials in each screw-hole, with some sealant.

DaveT

Enlightened

OK Dave, I'll bite - where did you get the nightlight?
Dave

Dave Wright

Enlightened

DaveT,

The glass art was made by Eric Kvarnes in Sperryville, VA. It is the best glass I've ever come across, and I've checked many in galleries using my EDC flashlight, for passing and coloring the light. It does a lot with the light but wastes very little.

I made the base myself (hobbyist woodworker and tinkerer) out of Cherry, copper pipe, furniture pads, and an elliptical scrap of mirror finish laminate. I have 2 of the bases in AA barrel size. They're the most heavily used. I also have a couple in AAA barrel size that don't see much use since an Arc AAA doesn't quite even burn one night.

I use a much more simple version when traveling - a large shooter marble perched atop my Arc AA's reflector while the AA rests in tailstand orientation. I have a shooter marble that works reasonably well, but keep an eye out for a better one.

jpeg

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
nascar says:
putting tritium glow vials in each screw-hole, with some sealant

[/ QUOTE ]
Now you're talking! Where can I get my hands on some? (Group buy maybe?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Daddyo

Newly Enlightened
Miami..Keylux Arc4+ VIP HyperLuxV FT3C AngleLux3+

I try and put the ARC in the same spot each evening when I retire. This works sometimes but is not good enough. I am using the clip and love it but I really like the idea of putting tritium glow vials in each screw-hole. Where can one get such an animal?

p.s.

where can I find the best instructions for setting the different modes? I am not sure if I have found the brightest setting.

jpeg

Enlightened

You can try playing with the ARC4 simulators Daddyo. See my sig for the links...

For the vials, I just emailed a guy in singapore about possibly getting a bunch... If he can get them, I'll post a thread in "group buy" and then I'll mention it here... They're not easy to come by in the US, unless you want to disembowel a military watch...

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened

How would you mount them in the screw holes? I'm guessing these are smaller than the ones in tritium night sights?

jpeg

Enlightened

The traser tubes in my watch are 4mm in length and about 1mm thick.
if they went in verticaly, they'd definitely be thin enough, the only question is the depth...
Anyone care to measure the depth of the bore holes?

soltrain

Newly Enlightened

oh man. tritium in the screw holes would be sick!
I'm all down for it.

jpeg

Enlightened

Not safe for the disk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as health risks goes, even if you break the vial right under your nose, the radiation is less than an x-ray.
Look up tritium and safety on google if want more data.

chiaroscuro

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
jpeg said:
Not safe for the disk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as health risks goes, even if you break the vial right under your nose, the radiation is less than an x-ray.
Look up tritium and safety on google if want more data.

[/ QUOTE ]

my accumlative life time rad exposure is already pretty high--
want to break them for me ? hee hee.
But really, your point is taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.