Surefire Stiletto Lockout Feature

mckrobx

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Surefire Stiletto in January 2019, shortly after it was first released. I absolutely love this light, but on several occasions, including once on a commercial flight, the light came on in my bag, which is worrisome.

I noticed that the current manual for the Stiletto shows there is a button-enabled lockout function, but there is no mention of it in my manual, and the lockout procedure does not work on mine.

Does anyone know if Surefire ever issued a firmware upgrade for early versions of this light, or am I out of luck?

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
I'd contact Surefire, tell them the lockout isn't working and what happened on your flight, get their response.
BTW, how do you like it? I'm really wanting one, likely the pro version.

mckrobx

Newly Enlightened
I'd contact Surefire, tell them the lockout isn't working and what happened on your flight, get their response.
BTW, how do you like it? I'm really wanting one, likely the pro version.

I called them on Friday. They confirmed that the early models like mine did not have the lockout feature, they also said that there is no firmware upgrade for it, so I guess I'm out of luck. I explained what happened on the plane and the tech I was speaking to was indifferent. I would have thought from a liability perspective they might want to get these things out of circulation.

I'll probably get some sort of a hard shell case or kydex sheath made up to carry it in.

I love form factor and ergos of the light, being so slim and light i barely notice it in my pocket. Battery life is better than I expected, and the light does everything I need it to do. I was on the fence re the battery not being user replaceable, but so far no complaints, it's been almost two years and I haven't noticed any depreciable decrease in performance.

i like this one so much I'm really tempted to buy the Pro model too !

Last edited:

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
I called them on Friday. They confirmed that the early models like mine did not have the lockout feature, they also said that there is no firmware upgrade for it, so I guess I'm out of luck. I explained what happened on the plane and the tech I was speaking to was indifferent. I would have thought from a liability perspective they might want to get these things out of circulation.

I'll probably get some sort of a hard shell case or kydex sheath made up to carry it in.

I love form factor and ergos of the light, being so slim and light i barely notice it in my pocket. Battery life is better than I expected, and the light does everything I need it to do. I was on the fence re the battery not being user replaceable, but so far no complaints, it's been almost two years and I haven't noticed any depreciable decrease in performance.

i like this one so much I'm really tempted to buy the Pro model too !

Personally, I would call again and get someone else. If they said the same thing I'd go with it but perhaps they won't.

Regarding your case idea: Why not just leave it in your pocket when you fly?

Regarding the non-replaceable battery - everything's replaceable, especially after seeing what the folks on this forum can do.
I'm not sure if Surefire would replace the light if the battery went out. I know a lot of ppl. think they would but their warranty specifically calls out 2 year replacement on rechargeable batteries.

And thank you for the description of how it carries and performs.

Now my problem is that I want a Stiletto, tactician and edcl1-t.

Last edited: