is a drop in possible with an old petzl myo RXP gen 1

gramps416

Newly Enlightened
i have a Petzl myo RXP headleamp gen 1 that i still use often. I really like it do to the quick changing beam diffuser, i switch back and forth all the time.
The only real gripe is that in 2016, the efficiency of the package is poor.
On a low setting i am lucky to get 2 hours.

Is it possible to replace the exisitng LED for a new with increased efficiency? or is this a lost cause.
-g

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a Petzl myo RXP headleamp gen 1 that i still use often. I really like it do to the quick changing beam diffuser, i switch back and forth all the time.
The only real gripe is that in 2016, the efficiency of the package is poor.
On a low setting i am lucky to get 2 hours.

Is it possible to replace the exisitng LED for a new with increased efficiency? or is this a lost cause.
-g

The driver(electronics) has more to do with the efficiency(or lack there of) likely but, depending on the LED used, it could possibly be upgraded for better efficiency as well. It is possible it could be done but, likely would cost more then replacing the headlamp. You could try contacting Vinh and see if he thinks if it is doable. But, expect that even if it is, it would likely be far more economical to just get a newer model.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54

If it is efficiency you are after, I recommend a Zebralight as they have some of the most efficient headlamps and flashlights in the business. They have a variety of different beam profiles but, none with a flip down diffuser like you describe however.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes. Changing led will likely make it brighter, give you better tint and perhaps beam . pattern. You are unlikely to get better runtime.

That said. Older petzls are usually more moddable. The newer ones use an LED board integrated with the main driver board so are not really moddable.

I'll be doing a friend's tikka xp in a few weeks.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Myo RXP is moddable - you can use ledlink 10*C XP-G optics + Cre XP-G2 led - eth effect s quite impressive (SSC P4 - 146 lumens on led, XP-G 270, XP-G2 will be about 290 I think :twothumbs)