Replacement for zebra h52fw

Arf69

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys my current work headlamp was a zebra h52fw. I lost it last week :( it was a fantastic light no hotspot and nice flood excellent for close work on electricals and in heating systems. Only down side was the run time I use eneloops so not gonna get much more mileage with any other aa.
My dilema now is do I buy the same torch or is there anyone else who does a frosted lens like this. I looked at the zebra 600mkii fw but it means new charger and batts plus they all seem to be out of stock eveywhere.
any help guys would be great. I normally used the h52fw on the 100 lumens setting

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys my current work headlamp was a zebra h52fw. I lost it last week :( it was a fantastic light no hotspot and nice flood excellent for close work on electricals and in heating systems. Only down side was the run time I use eneloops so not gonna get much more mileage with any other aa.
My dilema now is do I buy the same torch or is there anyone else who does a frosted lens like this. I looked at the zebra 600mkii fw but it means new charger and batts plus they all seem to be out of stock eveywhere.
any help guys would be great. I normally used the h52fw on the 100 lumens setting

I believe at the moment there isn't another single AA headlamp that matches the beam pattern of the H52Fw and its top of the class runtime.
I suggest you make the switch to 18650s, as that will open a whole new world of possibilities.
Consider a decent enough charger and several good cells to be a good long term investment. :)

Arf69

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not too familiar with 18650s what's the best brand of rechargable and charger?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A reflector light with diffuser like H52fw is a good compromise for close up use and some distance(I would say it actually has a hotspot but it's very wide and with a very smooth transition to the spill). But for close up works I think H502W is best, though.
I find my H502w L2 to be excellent for indoors use and close up works: perfect mule.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it frosted ??

If your question is to me the answer is no. H502w has an emitter without reflector behind a clear glass. This provides a very wide and even illumination. The best for close up works but no throw at all. It's to compare to a clear light bulb. Also I think this provides a better contrast than using a diffuser/frosted glass.

Regarding the beam width of H502w: when using it as a headlamp the coverage fills practically the entire width of the eyesight! With other word: I hardly can see the edges.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it frosted ??

Zebralight offers 3 beam profiles for most headlights: traditional hot spot + spill (with a reflector), floody (frosted lens), and flood (no reflector, clear lens, aka "a mule")

The floody models with the frosted lens have "f" in their names, like your H52fw. The flood models (mule) are numbered in the format, "x0x," like 502, or 602, just like the one Swedpat suggested.

The flood models provide a much wider beam and as a result, substantial reduction in range. For closeup work at arms length, it's darn near perfect, as the wide even beam is very easy on the eyes. I have a H52fw as well, and I find that even its floody hotspot is not diffused enough for closeup work sometimes. But do keep in mind the reduced range.

With regard to a charger, I recommend either the Xtar VP2, or VC4. The former charges only Li-ions, while the latter charges both Li-ions and Nimh as well. Caveat with the latter, you have to buy the adapter for some 7 bucks separately, unless you already have a USB adapter that can output 2.1A @ 5V.

As for cells, in general you want to look for Panasonic or Sanyo cells. Visit mtnelectronics.com and email Richard, the owner. He can recommend what cells to buy. He also carries the two charges I mentioned above. He's extremely busy, but despite that always very patient and helpful.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Arf69

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for your time very informative and very precise as a forum should be. If all forum members were as helpful as yourself it would be a fantastic place to be.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF member Stefano has produced my favorite comparison shots of the three types of ZebraLight headlamp. In these shots, he uses the 18650 editions. I think they are the Mk. II versions with XM-L2 emitters.

rim.gif

Other (large image)

http://www.fonarik.org.ua/products_thumb/Zebra_compare_H602w-H600Fw-H600w.jpg

This next one comes from a group of six similar GIFs. Click the symbol, if you want to see the others. Note that long-range viewing is lost with the mule.

This last one is a video that compares the H602w with the H600w Mk. II L2.

I think I need a mule!

You may, too!

If you buy a mule, however, keep in mind that you will probably also need a traditional headlamp for longer viewing. I like the ZebraLight H600Fd Mk. III, myself.

Here is a shout out to Stefano! Thanks, bro, for the great pics!

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much for your time very informative and very precise as a forum should be. If all forum members were as helpful as yourself it would be a fantastic place to be.

No problem. Happy to have helped a bit. There are many more knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum. :)

Arf69

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys I'm now torn between the 602w and the 602fw just watched a video on you tube comparing both. How far would u say the 602w beam goes?? What does the fd stand for ??

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys I'm now torn between the 602w and the 602fw just watched a video on you tube comparing both. How far would u say the 602w beam goes?? What does the fd stand for ??

The F designation means "floody" with the frosted lens.
ZL also offers high CRI models for some lights, in two flavors: "d" (daylight neutral white; around 5,000K) and "c" (neutral white; around 4,000K).
The higher CRI comes at a cost of reduced output and/or runtime, which can be significant for some models.

Arf69

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys I have just recieved my supposedly new xstar charger from a uk company which will remain nameless until they respond. Note this is the 2nd time this has happened and it wasn't resolved the last time. Anyway I have just paid for what I would class a premium charger for my batteries and I feel this may be used. Would you all agree when you buy a new product it should come sealed in a box??

The product I have received looks far from new the box has clearly been opened. Can anyone advise how to upload pics on this app ??

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Last edited:

Arf69

Newly Enlightened
Thanks woods walker I'm from the uk so a lot of these brands are difficult to find with paying over the top postage which is normally more than the battery itself

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Thanks woods walker I'm from the uk so a lot of these brands are difficult to find with paying over the top postage which is normally more than the battery itself

Nitecore and Fenix also sells lithium ion 18650. Keep away anything with "FIRE" in the name.