Photon II ramblings

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my white Photon II for about two months and it's my most frequently used light. The reason being that it's always in my pocket. I detest carrying keys and keychains, but this little guy is so small and light that it's hardly noticeable. The ability to switch it on (as opposed to just a momentary button) is a must. The Photon puts out an incredible amount of light when new. However, it didn't take long for it to dim. I doubt that I've put any where near the rated 12hrs on it. Has anyone ever measured the light output over time? A 12hr rating sounds nice, but seems like the Photon in only good for close up work after maybe an hour or two (very rough guess). My kids lost my CMG Infinity light last year, but I think the Photon is at about that level of output now. Can't keep myself from wanting the output and life of the PAL in a Photon sized package. A guy can dream, can't he.
rolleyes.gif

RonM

Brock

Flashaholic
I have done a runtime test Photon. After about 4 hours it is at about 1/2 of it's original brightness. It does last the 10 hours, but it is pretty dim at that point. It's funny though, if it were a 2 AA mag you would get about 30 minutes to 1/2 brightness, and we now complain about 4 hours
smile.gif
on LED lights

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

my Photon was dead after sitting on it all day...it does dim quickly - no current regulation...did you enjoy changing the battery? Lose any screws? Manage to bend the leads back into the perfect alignment so the 'switch' would work? Try an Emissive Energy microlight, it doesn't have the problems of the Photons, (except for the battery life - same bulb), and it's made in the US at half the price too...golly.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Master, I have much to learn.

I always wondered why they have that unusual clip! Where do you buy yours? Doing an net search I only see them at Botach, $7, and Chesapeake Knife, $14.

I want three small led lights to attach to a trick kite for night flying.

Thanks - RonM

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Emissive Energy Micro-Light sure has a nice price but lacks the ability to be switched on w/o having to hold the button continuously. That's a must for me.

Thanks anyway.
RonM

D

**DONOTDELETE**

RonM,
...look again grasshopper...you can insert the Emissive Energy (back end first) into the clip it comes on -- and...golly! it is held in the ON position! the rubber ribs hold it in place - it's like it was made to do that..I wrote to the manufacturer about this, and suggested they advertise the fact, but haven't heard back, yet...(will wonders never cease?)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I got mine from Botach (a minor miracle, I understand...) -- and they're having a 15% off sale at the moment, I think..

Size15's

Flashaholic
Either it's my screwdriver, or me, but the Photon screws are easy to remove and replace on my Photons atleast. The added bonus of having a magnetic screwdriver is the little screws are even easier to handle.

First Law of disassembling:
Keep all the bits.
First law of reassembling:
Use all the bits.

Personally, I still prefer the PhotonII switch.

Can't wait for the PhotonIII !
grin.gif

Al

Bucky

Enlightened
I haven't really had a problem with the screws either. Obviously, it would be great if they were bigger, but it's not really that bad.

I eagerly await the Photon III as well; anyone have any information on the release date of the Photon III?

Bucky