last purchase and I want it to be a good one

tom-

Enlightened
needs: camp/trail/hiking, decent throw and spill for the trail - 3-6k lumens with logical steps in between highest and lowest with longer run times , size not so important, rechargeable or not and with the ability to use multiple battery types in addition to recharge kinda think a belt worn pack might be neat, hid or led.

Budget: prefer to stay under $400 usd BUT for something special, whatever it takes to a point of course-say max $1000.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
A group of lights will serve you better than a single light but if you have to go single light there are several choices I recommend. A factory Nitecore TM16GT or a modified light by Vinh; an Acebeam K60vn or a JETBeam T6vn. You'll need high amperage batteries to marry up with what ever light you chose.
As I wait for the EDC, Nitecore MH20GT to arrive and when it does, I'll have four lights in this group kit. All Nitecore lights. A headlamp (HC90), the TM16GT for the Search&Rescue that I don't do and a handheld everyday light for around the house, an EC4S. In my opinion, horses for courses and four lights is better than one.

I'm using a Nitecore D4 battery charger with Orbtronic 3500mAh, 10A 18650 batteries for the TM16GT and Orbtronic 3400mAh, 5A, 18650 batteries for the rest of the lights.

I'm not a guru. I'm a light greedy user who finds and buys what works and then forgets about it.........except when I find more money. I hope the above helps in your decision making.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must admit I would not go the single light route either,you break or lose it you are up the river without a paddle.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
lights with proprietary cell built in charging usually blow. For example just 2200-2600mah for the Fenix proprietary cells in their RC lights. The non proprietary cell lights with built in charging systems are much better as you get to choose the cell BUT I still do not know of a single light that actually charges the cells all the way to 4.20v for example. Still built in charging is a very nice option to have. You want 3-6000 lumens? Hoo-boy! Gonna be a big heavy light! Two lights at the least would make more sense one a flooder the other a thrower in the super high lumen range. Hell Olights SRMini II is 3200 lumens 3x18650 mini USB rechargeable that is a good one. Just how much throw are you looking for? Acebeam K70 is only a mere 2600 lumens but throws a staggering 422000k CD. No built in recharging though. Will chime back in with more suggestions later.....

wjv

Enlightened
The Olight SR52UT is only 1,100 lumens, but throws like a son of a gun! 800 meter and 160K CD. Though some people here have done their own measurements and claim that it is a bit above 200K CD. It is a fantastic thrower in a small package.

It also has a 4 hour run time and can recharge via a micro USB cable.

Then pick us a Olight SR Mini II which is all flood. Also can recharge via a micro usb cable.

I have both and they are AWESOME lights.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
If you don't know already go to skylumen.com and you should find one or two you like,then chat with Vinh. He will help you with that h.o. light you want.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
It's a running joke in my house that I open a box, show my fiancée a new light and say "This is the last one … for a couple of months at least."

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
If size is not a concern you should check out Vinh's Acebeam K60vn with a dedomed 5000K XHP70. Super bright, great combo of throw and flood. Nice tint for outdoors use.

As bykfixer said - Last purchase..... I can't imagine how many times I've said that.

The Hawk

Enlightened
Remember 2=1 1=none. Especially when you're in the middle of no where. Like others have said, carry several lights. You never know when one of them will fail. :eek:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ Yeah. 'Cause I need one to finish off the bottom of the "F"!

(You can start working on the underline later. I mean, it does need an underline. Right?!!)