Heat sinking capacity needed for 12 12000mcd LED's

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Heat sinking capacity needed for 12 12000mcd LED\'s

in a disc the size of a mag light lens with slight overdrive 10% or so.

I'm goning to machine it out of AL. with a hair of expansion room.

But should I used a fin pattern or will it be enough surface area? I want to shoot for 1/8" al. plate but it'll loss a lot of mass from the 12 holes.

chalo

Newly Enlightened
Re: Heat sinking capacity needed for 12 12000mcd L

That thould be plenty if you mean a C or D Mag; you're probably only going to be dissipating like 1.5W to 2W of heat (at 30 to 50 mA per LED).

If you are using a Mini Mag, there won't be a whole lot left of the disc to sink heat into. You'll need to leave as much thickness in the webs as you can, and you should try to get a conformal fit between the heatsink and the flashlight head. Potting the back side with heat transfer epoxy may help provide some thermal mass and surface area to the assembly.

Chalo Colina

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

I was planing on AS3 (articsilver 3) on the sides of the LED's and then on the inteface with the D size Mag light.one side will have an O-ring (this is going to be a water proof project) but I may be able to get it tight enuf to interface with the side walls well with a light coat of grease.

php_44

Enlightened

I would guess that standard 5mm LEDs get rid of most of their heat through the lead attached to the die cup. In this case soldering the LEDs to a circuit board with short leads, then heatsinking the board with some electrically insulating compound to an aluminum plate would be best for the LEDs. This would be more of a concern if your were overdriving significantly, or wanted to keep heat rise to a minimum.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

I wan't to overdirve them and not lose output over time. so I wan't to suck out as much heat as possible

circuit board is not really an option. I need it low profile.

I'll just have to settle for the heat sinking from the wires (I may use 14ga wire to get a bit more mass on the leads and from the LED lens to the alluminum mount plate.