Anyone here have a TnC host?

I realize there's a TnC subforum but I'm asking here because it's a grave yard. Posts there seem to garner no replies and e-mail queries directly to the company have netted no reply so I thought I'd see if anyone here can give me some opinions on them. Just looking around over at Ogaz the products look really superb. I'll say from the outset that I'm not interested in any of their complete lights. This is JMOHO and not a criticism of rechargeables but to me they're strictly toys, albeit very nice ones. If a light can't run lithium primaries then I can't take it seriously as a hardcore product, and I have little use for anything but bombproof, hardcore stuff.

This brings me to their hosts. The hosts look really amazing! Would I be correct in surmising that a P60-compatible host designed for an 18650 would fit a pair of CR123A cells just fine? It appears that one of their hosts with a McClicky installed would just need a nice Malkoff M61 to be ready to roll. I like the looks of the copper host but also the titanium one. The machining appears to be fantastic and everything about them seems immaculate.

Thanks for any input you can give me, CPF!lovecpf

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123's are 16mm diameter x 34mm length.
18650's are 18mm diameter x 65mm length.
Two CR123 primaries would be (approximately) 16mm x 68mm. The extra 3mm should be eaten by either the Clicky or dropin spring, so it's likely 2 would fit without issue.

You'll of course want to ensure the P60 dropin supports up to 6V (which the M61 does).

Chris' machining is second-to-none, I simply cannot speak highly enough of it. The threads on my brass MicroLux Turbo are so silky smooth that every other light I own pales in comparison.
microluxturbo.jpg

If the pictures in this thread don't whet your whistle I don't know what will. I've always had good luck reaching him at [email protected]. If he doesn't reply maybe he's out of the office for a bit or something.

archimedes

Flashaholic
In terms of battery length, 18650 hosts are often sized for protected cells, which can be a few mm longer than 65 mm. So that is usually less likely to be an issue.

In terms of battery diameter, though, 16 mm cells may have a bit of battery rattle. Of course, there are lots of simple ways to fix that.

In terms of battery voltage, certainly they are very different. You will need to safely ensure that you are operating within proper limits.

Last edited:
I am just looking for a host for 2 x CR123a cells & a Malkoff dropin so I'm not worried about electronics- just wanting to make sure they'd physically fit in the host. I am very impressed with the quality of TnC stuff!

BTW, great pics! Those are amazing looking. If I get one as a host I'll get a battery tube/liner to minimize rattle. I would go with an M61N probably- that's about my favorite all-around dropin although I'm fond of the W's, too.

18650 TNC host in Ti with two heads, a smooth one & a cooly one. Anodized by slipperyslug.

26650 host on Natural HA with trits.

Machining is second to none.

Have you ever tried a pair of CR123a's to see if they fit? Just curious. I'm aware that they wouldn't supply enough oomph to run the light properly, I was just wondering about the size. Obviously I know the dimensions of the cells but there's often some "wiggle room" for fit.

How is the ordering process? Delivery times?

Lastly, all the pics I've seen are of the beautiful outsides, never the insides. Are the electronics potted?

If the pictures in this thread don't whet your whistle I don't know what will. I've always had good luck reaching him at [email protected]. If he doesn't reply maybe he's out of the office for a bit or something.

Just wanted to say that I did shoot an e-mail to that addy and got an immediate reply! So I retract my previous comment- my bad! I think I used the wrong contact info. The reply was brief but concise and courteous, answering all my questions.:rock: