Counterfeit Cree LEDs and $ 2 million lawsuit to follow

billcoe

Newly Enlightened
I did a search and didn't see this posted. I apologize if it's widely known.

.....in January, Cree alleges it was able to purchase flashlights bearing the Cree logo from JK, despite JK having never been authorized to manufacture, copy, sell, import, market or distribute any Cree merchandise. An inspection of the items found them to be counterfeit, according to the suit.

http://linkis.com/www.bizjournals.com/lUa0n

Good site to search for or report fakes if and when you find them although there are plenty of holes, no fake Nitecore chargers...yet: https://thecounterfeitreport.com/index.php

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this, billcoe! :)

So Cree caught this one eBay seller but I have to wonder how many other's are selling fake Cree. Another good reason for me to avoid the "too good to be true" cheap flashlights I see online, and stick to reputable companies that sell higher-end flashlights.

If I search for a flashlight on CPF and find no trace of it, and/or no trace of the company that makes it, then I won't buy it. I think I know all the "main" flashlight companies now, after reading so many posts & reviews on here.

I'm so glad to have found CPF.
lovecpf

I wonder what will come of this lawsuit. It will be interesting!

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes me wonder if the "cree merchandise" was things like flashlights, lanterns, or bulbs where it's easy to rebrand or if it were actual led diodes that were manufactured from nothing.

I've seen 2 counterfeit cell phones people were trying to sell on Craigslist and plenty of fake SD cards and honestly, I start to really question the profit margin of counterfeiting something that is so close to the original that is going to drop in price within a few months anyways.

As for faking helicoptors... I still say it would take a hell of a lot of work to bring a salvaged aircraft back to life and more money on top of that to make it look new enough to sell to someone else and still somehow make a profit. If you have that kind of means and skill, it would be better to start your own company or become a repairman and make some steady income legally!

CoastalLifePhotography

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this, billcoe! :)

So Cree caught this one eBay seller but I have to wonder how many other's are selling fake Cree. Another good reason for me to avoid the "too good to be true" cheap flashlights I see online, and stick to reputable companies that sell higher-end flashlights.

Like Wendee said, if it's "too good to be true," it probably is. I wish more people would live by this, putting the fakers out of business. No demand=no supply.

Latest posts