Modified KL2

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modified another KL2. This time I used a 1.3" Carley plain polished aluminum reflector, instead of a PR.

Here's the business end.

f9c8dd25.jpg

And a beam shot from 30 feet away from a white wall that is 15 feet wide.

f9c8dd1f.jpg

Take note of the sidespill. The amount of sidespill really takes away from the brightness of the hotspot in the pic. This thing really turns night into day, be it up close or at a distance. At this distance, I'd estimate that the sidespill beam measured a good 18-20 feet in diameter and it was nice and even. The only artifacts that I got were from the leads in the lux. The sidespill was nice and smooth. I found this a bit unusual with the smooth reflector, after having experienced the M@g reflectors.

The mod was really easy and took about two hours from start to finish, including turning time. The KL2 is super mod friendly. I happened to have to make two esinks (since they aren't on the shoppe anymore) for a couple of mods that I was commissioned to do. I made a few extras. Anyway, it turns out that the esink fit right into the post of the KL2 and the post easily accomodated the circuit.

I guess, what I'm saying is that, in a pinch, anyone could do this with a hacksaw (miter box)and dremel.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Cool! I just see one big hotspot -- or is that your point, the there really is a smaller hotspot in the center but the sidespill just engulfs it?

Is that the Carley that goes straight down on the outside walls?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulk,

I don't know what happened to the pic. It showed up different on my laptop. The whole room is actually lit up with SideSpill. What you see above is just the hotspot. I'm gonna have to try a beam shot again.

Yes, straight down on the walls. I love it. You can do whatever you want with these things.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweet mod! I like it...too bad the KL2 only fits a M3.

we definately need an adapter to put a M3/KL2 bezel on a C/D/Z body /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished a mod using an aluminized and orange peeled reflector and am getting really good results. I think that the plain polished aluminum is wasting a lot of light. I'll update after the KL2 goes back under the knife for a better reflector.

It looks like I'm going to be calling on carley soon.