Diagnosing a TK40 problem

treesloth

Newly Enlightened
My ~7-year old Fenix TK40 has started to have some problems, and I'm hoping to get some troubleshooting tips. The light will not turn on at all right now. Prior to this complete failure, the light would sporadically fail and turn back on. Unfortunately, the 14-year old that was using it at the time decided that the proper method for getting it to turn back on was to smack it repeatedly. It fizzled out one last time and now it won't turn back on. I've replaced batteries, etc, although there was no reason to think they were the problem. Now, I'm trying to determine what "section" of the flashlight has the problem. It seems reasonable that it would be in either the switch cap at the tail, in the battery caddy, or in the head unit containing the LED.

So, my first question: If I simply place the battery caddy in the light with the switch cap removed and short from the center lead of the caddy to the body tube of the flashlight, should the light turn on? It currently does not, but I'm not certain that I should expect it to. If it should, of course, the rest of my questions may be entirely academic.

Second, is there a straightforward way to test the battery caddy? For example, if I get a voltmeter, what readings should I expect if I apply the leads to both ends of the caddy?

Next, is there a way to independently test the head? Even if it means stringing together a bunch of AA's and holding wires to the leads on the inside of the head, that's fine, but I'd like to make sure I'm doing it right.

Finally, if it turns out that the head is damaged, I assume that repairs would be challenging at best? I thought I'd read that at least some of the electronics are potted, which I'm not quite up to cracking open. Are replacement, or even upgraded, heads available? Is it time to give the old stalwart a decent burial?

Many thanks in advance.

ven

Flashaholic
Sounds like the head/driver , maybe a loose connection inside.

If you like the light a lot, maybe send to vinh for an LED update, maybe drivervnx2 and transform it into a modern light, xp-l HI 4000 or 5000k, even a nichia hi cri option...........just thoughts.

Other option is to contact Fenix, may have to pay parts but it should be sorted out for you.