100 Watt 10,000 Lumen LED 'DayMaker' Flashlight Build

jayrob

Enlightened
Version 2 here: 100 Watt LED Version 2

So I saw
a Youtube video of a guy that made a flashlight out of one these 100W LED's you can get on Ebay for about 5 or 10 bucks...

These things fit perfectly onto a computer CPU heatsink with fan and it's the perfect cooling for it.

Super flood turns night into day. I think these things are made for parking lots, etc...

day11.jpg

The Youtube build I saw was awesome, but there was one thing that I didn't like about his...

He used a round pack of Li-Ion's that definitely blocked the air flow through the tube, which would not be good cooling, and it would also hurt the fan...

So...

Since I already had a CPU heatsink with 12 volt fan, plus various other supplies laying around, I set out to make myself something similar but with a LiPo pack which would lay flat inside and allow plenty of air flow. :)

Here's a short video demonstration showing air flow through the tube:

Lipo pack:

day1.jpg

My build is designed around this battery which I already have a nice balance charger for my other Lipo cells I have for my RC heli's...

All parts can be picked up for very cheap! (except the battery - that's the only real expense. I paid $60 for the battery)

I molded some easy to make battery mounting plates with some of that 2 part marine putty...

day2.jpg

day3.jpg

Details:

day4.jpg

That large boost driver was only 13 bucks. It has Voltage adjustment as well as Amperage. So you can dial your LED in perfectly.

The LED needs 36 Volts and 3 Amps. My Lipo cell draws about 7.8 Amps at full charge in order to boost to 36 Volts at 3 Amps...

The smaller driver is a buck driver for the 12 Volt fan. It only cost about 5 bucks. The fan only draws about 380mA.

I have a voltage monitor on there as well but that only draws about 7mA's.

Battery voltage monitor color code:

Bright blue - Full charge
Cyan - Very good
Green - Good
Yellow/Amber - Low warning
Red - Batteries low

My total current draw for everything is 8.2 Amps at full charge.

day5.jpg

Balance charge plug out the back, and charge plug out the front...

day6.jpg

day7.jpg

day8.jpg

Handle mounted perfectly balanced... :) (total weight - 5.4 lbs.)

day9.jpg

Night turns into day! :cool:

day10.jpg

Got a second lens so I could experiment with sanding the back side...

Wet sanding did not work too well so I put a very light etch with my sand blaster:

day12.jpg

The yellow ring is now gone... (Spot on the wall at 4' distance)

Stock lens:
day13.jpg

Etched lens:
day14.jpg

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a neat home build. What is impressive to me is how easy it is for a home builder to make the body for it. I have spent countless hours and way too much money getting aluminum machined.

Is the driver a standard "brick" size?

One small improvement to consider is a screen of some kind for the air inlet side. Even a coarse screen will keep out a lot of dirt and fibers.

Harry

jayrob

Enlightened
That is a neat home build. What is impressive to me is how easy it is for a home builder to make the body for it. I have spent countless hours and way too much money getting aluminum machined.

Is the driver a standard "brick" size?

One small improvement to consider is a screen of some kind for the air inlet side. Even a coarse screen will keep out a lot of dirt and fibers.

Harry

Glad you like it!

The LED driver came with a finned heatsink that I had to modify in order for it to fit the tube. It is stacked on top of my Lipo cell.

The fan driver also came with a tiny heatsink that I thermal glued to the chip...

Last edited:

Ladd

Enlightened
Great build. Enjoyed the excellent pictures and description. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

jayrob

Enlightened
Great build. Enjoyed the excellent pictures and description. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

:thanks:

My pleasure to post...

Really love this build/project. Amazing flood of light! :)

I've been turning this thing on every chance I get...

1st charge holding up a lot better than I had anticipated.

Also the voltage does not 'sag' at all with this Lipo. (I can test voltage before and during operation right from the charge plug)

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
:bump:

Got a second lens today so I could experiment with sanding the back side...

Wet sanding did not work too well so I put a very light etch with my sand blaster:

day12.jpg

The yellow ring is now gone... (Spot on the wall at 4' distance)

Stock lens:
day13.jpg

Etched lens:
day14.jpg

Adding to OP...