New or nonsense

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at a Sharper Image store today just before closing to get a tire for my 2 year old city bug scooter. While I was there I asked if they had any new led lights. The manager said no but I have something cooler. A micro fluorescent light just out. He showed me what is identical to the Emissive Energy light. Same old case but translucent. Hmmm...I looked at the sign and sure enough it read "new patented micro fluorescent DCCT (Direct Color Chip Technology) bulb". I said it looks like a led to me. He said, yep but its not, it`s fluorescent. Again I said that it looks like a led. Hesaid he thought it was a blend of the two technolgies. I bought one of course,as any respectable flashaholic would do and left. Hmmm...I can`t find any thing on any web site explaining further. Any thoughts gentlemen?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little more info...it is made by INOVA
The light is blue.
The case is identical to the emissive energy and I beleive it is the same company.
The back of the card makes the same claim...Patented micro-fluorscent DCCT....bulb.
If this is true why haven`t they made a bigger deal about this?

Is it possible for a small company to have afforded to make something this different?

I can`t really see the bulb from the side as it is inset in the case.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Just a little more info...it is made by INOVA
The light is blue.
The case is identical to the emissive energy and I beleive it is the same company.
The back of the card makes the same claim...Patented micro-fluorscent DCCT....bulb.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try looking straight down into the bulb, with the light off of course.

Look for an unexpectedly large square chip, transparent or semi-transparent, with two tiny wires attached to the chip at the corners.

Is this what you see, or do you see something totally different?

I'll hit the Sharper Image tomorrow and look for this myself - though I probably won't have the money to buy. Maybe I can get a look at the bulb and the actual emitted light and determine what it is though.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
More info...

The INOVA light is an Emissive Energy product.

inova.jpg
inova2.gif

The claim of a "fluorescent" bulb is probably just hype. All modern white LEDs rely solely on fluorescence to function. A blue LED chip (a form of electroluminescence, actually) bombards a phosphor with high energy blue photons, causing said phosphor to absorb and re-emit lower energy photons in a broad color spectrum from red to deep green. Poof, there's your "fluorescent" white light.

$0.02

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, telephony (Craig) and Ed...ok looking straight down on all my led lights I see a big yellow bloob with two wires (gold colored). This one has what appears to be two gold wires but thats were the similarity ends. There appears to be a polished reflector...like a mirror. The buld itself looks clearer than my other ones, cleaner. All the ones I have are white led`s except for a yellow Photon (which also has a big yellow blob). This one has a blue color so I don`t know if it should have a yellow blob to. Ed I paid $15.00 and tax. I think that about the same as most web sites but not sure. I do not think it is is exclusive to Sharper Image. Maybe they changed the bulb without telling anyone??? I just don`t understand why they would do that with out advertising harder.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i have 2 of these lights and i use 1 of them daily to find switch panel to light up warehouse where i work. purchased about a month apart, one has black case and one is translucent. they came packaged exactly as shown in previous post. they sure look like leds to me, i don't recall reading the exact technology on the package. i can buy these all day for $10 at "harry's army & navy in nj. they had about 40 of them hanging on pegs in white blue or green and i was able to light different colors/copys before purchase. that was fun because not many led fashlights are available at retail outlets, all the good ones need to be purchased on-line. why is that? anyway it's a great light for my needs.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other change...they claim it has a gold plated on/off switch.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Hi, telephony (Craig) and Ed...ok looking straight down on all my led lights I see a big yellow bloob with two wires (gold colored). This one has what appears to be two gold wires but thats were the similarity ends. There appears to be a polished reflector...like a mirror. The buld itself looks clearer than my other ones, cleaner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you have is nothing more than a plain old ordinary old Nichia blue LED.

I'll break out the handy-dandy evidence gathering kit and post the results shortly.
I bet you'll find them one and the same.
blush.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your probably right Craig. They sure have the folks at Sharper Image confused and me to. Guess I wanted to beleive it. Maybe I will return it as they have a 90 day return policy. Thanks for responding everyone.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
This one has what appears to be two gold wires but thats were the similarity ends. There appears to be a polished reflector...like a mirror.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look anything like this?
wink.gif

guts1.jpg

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
smile.gif
He He no...I am only joking. But I will have somthing to say next time I`m at Sharper Image. Thanks for clearing things up
wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Don't ya just love it when sales people know more about what you're buying then you do?

Example 1:
"Sure!" my cable company said, "The Digital Cable has digital Surround Sound."

"Erm. No. It's plain old Dolby Prologic - Analogue transmitted digitally."

"Oh..."

Example 2:
Energizer help-desk, "John Lewis is the best place to buy the new L91 Lithium AAs."
John Lewis, "We do not stock, and we can not order these batteries - whatever they are."

Example 3:
I bought a $300 jacket, and got an Emissive Energy LED-light for free.

"This Emissive Energy is the smallest brightest LED-light in the World." said the guy at a camping shop, "There is no better."
Taking out my PhotonII [Turquoise], "Is it brighter than this?" I asked.
"No."
"Does it have an on switch?"
"No."
"Is it smaller than this PhotonII?"
"No. Where did you get that?"
"I ordered it from the States."
"Oh. Do you still want this one for free then?"
"Yes please."

Honestly. Poorly trained customer service is worse than no customer service!

Al

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Al -

Just a quick note - the L91s have been semi-discontinued (I say semi- because it's only a name change) - They are now

(drum roll please)

Energizer E2 Lithiums (as opposed to titaniums) They're being sold in a 4 pack now instead of a 2 pack - frys has them 4 for 7.99 ($2 ea).

Funniest thing is a close personal friend was walking through frys trying to buy the L91s because they are the only cell he can use for the application - he calls me on the cellular from the store - "FRYS HAS QUIT SELLING L91S THOSE *******S!" I say - look at the engergizer e2 isle - - he says "NO NO NO - I MUST HAVE LITHIUM" - I say, "yes, about 10 mg. taken before bedtime, but thats not the issue here - look at the E2 titanium - then look to the right about 3 feet and you'll see the E2 lithium - same color - same case - same package, higher pricetag - only difference is the word lithium instead of titanium - it's the L91 cell in a different wrapper"

"Oh. whoops. whew...."

Anyways - The red/gold L91s we've known and loved for so long are now collectors items - the new ones are so hard to distinguish from the actual E2 titaniums that a *SMART* person will get them confused! The stockboy at the store will never get them on the right peg on the shelf. Hopefully he'll stick the wrong pricetag on them someday :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think the L91 e2's are the sets I got whilst I was in the States. Light blue and silver grey card with

I didn't see Titanium's whilst I was in Walmart, but then I was in a real hurry.
Are the Titaniums "T91"

I've got several sets (of 4) of Energizer EL123AP batteries (silver with thin black top band) and one set in the style you mention from my Switzerland fieldtrip...
I think red/gold is way cooler!

What gives with Titanium anyway?

You can't get hold of either very easily here in the UK. And when you can, they cost a fortune!

Al

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the question. I know titanium is great for submerines but what is the benefit for land bound batteries? Unless of course the fall over the side of a ship.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The titanium and some of the other new generation batteries are designed for high drain devices, like digital cameras. Digicams draws so much power, that standard alkalines can't produce it fast enough and voltage goes down quickly.

There is no advantage to using these new specialized high drain batteries in low drain devices, so save you pennies.

Hope that helps.
RonM