Using Panasonic NCR18650B w/Zebra Light SC600w MKIII HI?

LimuHead

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a Panasonic NCR18650B in my new ZL SC600w MKIII HI, but have read that it's not optimal for this light.

After reading through the various related threads I'm still a bit confused about what I may be missing by not using a higher drain battery.

From what I understand I would get higher output at startup on maximum output with a high drain battery, but the PID would still kick in at whatever temperature setting the light's set at so I would end up with less time on max before the PID kicked in using a high drain battery. At that point the light is no longer dealing with maximum draw, so what do I miss out on by not using a high drain battery?

One point I understand is that the 18650B battery may lose longevity by being drained over the stated specs, but has any damage been done in the minutes it takes the PID to kick in?

Thank you,

Aldon

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not worry about it.

Flashlight reviewer MHanlan wrote to ZebraLight to ask this very question. He reports that ZL replied saying the Pany B is acceptable for this flashlight. In the same thread, I explained why I thought the "B" was not the best choice for this flashlight. Our discussion starts here.

ZebraLight, too, thinks the Panasonic NCR18650GA is a better choice than the B. At least, that is the battery is sells for this flashlight on its web site.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the unprotected B is just fine BUT the unprotected flat top NCR18650GA is just all around a better cell for the MkIII HI. The GA cell ZL sells on their site is perfect for this particular light. The GA has more capacity, higher amp hour rating, the GA's unique chemistry gives the GA either zero voltage sag or very close to it under full load and its only 7 or 8 bucks!